Can a princeton reverb be used for small clubs/band practice settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Legendofamind7, May 16, 2006.

1. Legendofamind7

Legendofamind7 Member

I'm looking for an amp to complement my twin reverb. I'm thinking of running a two amp setup. Obviously the twin is for cleans and now I'm searching for an amp for od (blues stuff). I own a vibro champ, awesome little amp for bedroom practicing, when you have it cranked for a lil while it sounds great. Problem is its only 6 watts I think so it def. wouldn't work for anything but practice. But thats the sound I want at higher volumes, cranked vintage fender tube tone. So would the princeton reverb be a good choice?

2. will132

will132 Member

Saw a guy up in Albany playing one and he sat it up on a chair. Sounded VERY good. Can't remember if it was miked, but it was a average sized room for a bar.

3. Legendofamind7

Legendofamind7 Member

nice, I'm thinking since I'll have it cranked it should be alright for club gigs and loud enough to cut through the mix with the band

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It depends on how loud your drummer is and how big the room is. I've used a modified PR (12" speaker and internal modifications) un-mic'd in some situations, and mic'd in others.

Don't resist mic'ing it if necessary. This is really the best way to go since the PA disperses the sound better than the amp alone, and it requires VERY minimal PA power to mic a guitar amp.

5. oxtone

oxtone Member

In the latest Guitar Player, Mike Campbell of Tom Petty says he uses a Fender Princeton on stage as his main amp! He said it is "positioned up in front of the stage and facing me." He also has a Fender Deluxe and his old Vox AC30 behind him, but he mostly "feels" those amps. He said: "Mostly what I hear on the stage, though, is the Princeton."

That's quite a testimony from a guy that plays big rooms.

6. Bruce

Bruce Member

I have the above mentioned amp and have used it for many small gigs. It's an old Blackface that I've had for over 30 years. It produces 12 watts. I had the baffle board replaced and put an EV 12L in it when I got it and it really made a big difference in the output because of the efficiency of the speaker. It made the amp about a twice as loud and produced a much better tone. That being said, if you are playing anywhere other than a small club and you have a full band you may have a problem. Keep in mind that running an amp fully "cranked" is not very good for the amp and you may blow it up. Especially and old one. They also eat tubes really quickly this way. Running it through a P.A. with a mike is a crap shoot unless it's your P.A. I heard a band open for Eric Johnson and one of the guitar players miked his Silverface Princeton Reverb through the house sound system and you couldn't even hear it. A good rule to go by is: "Never depend on an outside sound crew to control your sound." All this being said, my favorite amp of all time is a Fender Princeton Reverb and I've had tons of amps, including lots of boutique amps as well. I wish they would reissue it although Headstrong Ampifiers is making an exact replica of it as well as some modified ones as well. I think they have a 20W one also. Here is the link to their website: http://www.headstrongamps.com/

7. Matt H

Matt H Guest

with an efficient speaker? possibly. :)

(hell, drag a 4x12 to the gig just for the PR hehhee)

8. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

I've got a 65 blackface I can't get enough of (the bridge pickup on my 65 Duo-Sonic II sounds amazing). Best natural tube overdrive I've heard. If you get one with an original speaker you should look at getting it replaced with a Weber. I blew the cone on my original Jensen while recording, I almost stabbed myself. Good luck with your search and let us know which way you go (although any prinetonesque purchase is likely to be sweet).

9. Improviser

Improviser Member

I've been running a '65 Princeton Reverb at small gigs and practice for the last 10 years or so. If it's a slightly bigger room and I still want that sound then I take a second one and run them in stereo. Great amps.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

If you have band members who actually listen to each other and understand dynamics, then yes.

11. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I once A/B'd one with an 18W clone and gigged that way. I did that for about 3 years and really liked the combination. The only change I made to the amp was to set it on top of a 112 extension cabinet for a little more coverage.

I played small clubs mostly and mic'd the amps for anything bigger.

12. hasserl

hasserl Member

Set up correctly, yes, not a problem. I have a SF Princeton Reverb, w/ 12" driver, a couple of small circuit mods and a Deluxe output tranny from Allen Amps, it is plenty loud enough to gig with, easy. As loud or louder than a DR. The Allen OT has a 4ohm tap, which lets me plug into an extension cab, I've used a 2x12 loaded w/ Weber California 12's, the PR w/ that cab sounds mighty fine. Even works for outdoor gig's.

In fact, I now use a Weber Load Dump with the amp to take a little off it.

13. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

A stock Princeton reverb will go into distortion at a pretty low volume. A lot of guys put in an efficient 12 inch speaker to get it up to band volume level. A lot depends on what kind of music you play and how much distortion or clean headroom you want. I put a Celestion Alnico blue in mine along with a couple little tweaks to the phase inverter section and that little thing screams now. Here is a great article on how to tweak these amps.

http://www.tonequest.com/articles/article2.htm

Dan

14. Legendofamind7

Legendofamind7 Member

Thanks for the input guys, I think once I sell some pedals and this sigma acoustic I picked up at a yard sale I'll invest in a princeton. With a little tweaking it seems to be a great amp for what I'm going to be doing. Besides if I'm ever in a situation where a drummer is drownin me out then I'll just use an od pedal through the twin reverb. But I just love the overdriven blues tones that come straight from an amp, I've tried many od pedals and not one compares. Well I'll let everyone know what I end up doing and once again thanks for the advice.

Joe

15. Matt H

Matt H Guest

ok- so here's a question... if you don't *already* have the princeton, have you considered a stock deluxe reverb? (yes, i understand they sound different).

16. baald

baald Member

you could also run through a loadbox/mass/hotplate (set to zero attenuation if you like) and run that through the twin reverb for more volume and/or a wet/dry rig.

17. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

I played in a blues band for four years with a guy that had a BF Princeton Reverb and it always sounded the same no matter what room we were in. Set it up on a chair, ran a tubescreamer infront of it. Tone for days.

I would say Twin clean/Princeton dirty would work darn good. I've also seen Twin clean/Deluxe dirt work really good too.

Steve