Can a Strat be too light?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1stormcat, Jul 2, 2009.

1. 1stormcat

1stormcat Member

I'm looking at a 6lb strat Custom Shop Masterbuilt 57 RI.

What are the opinions?

2. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

never too light. only too HEAVY :rolleyes:

3. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Silver Supporting Member

as they get lighter - they lose lower mids

depends on whatcha like. I've heard some killer ( and also some thin sounding ) very light strats

as they start getting really light - go with more overwound pickups to fill em out

then again... I'm no strat expert either - but that's my experience w/ fender guitars in general

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

It might just be in my head, but light guitars just seem thin sounding. Now that I think about it, all three of my guitars are pretty heavy and I like the way they sound. I'm not sure if there is actual data on a lighter guitar sounding thin, but it seems that way in my brain.

Perception =reality??

5. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

maybe it's my BACK talking -- but it seems to me that the tone monster strats i have had (fender, tyler, grosh, sadowsky, charvels, jackson, and others) have all been light.

a featherweight tele is a resonant thing of joy to behold!

something about a really nice and resonant piece of wood just makes me happy.

les paul guys may feel completely different :rolleyes:

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Your eyes or a scale know nothing about tone & feel...only your ears and hands know the answer ;).

7. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

Hi,
    I had a Lentz strat once that was very light, it had great tone but I never got use to how light it was... hard to believe that would be a problem but it does feel pretty strange...I would want to play it first if I could, six lbs is extremely light for a strat... if it has a large neck it could be a little neck heavy... again really hard to say without playing it...

Steve

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've got a feather light ashbody/maple neck hardtail strat with a set of Rocketfire 60s in it...monster tone...

I for one don't look for low mids in a strat...I have other guitars for that...

Chow,
    Seegs

9. KBR

KBR Member

All mine are 6lbs-6 1/2, they all sound Great. (I use all kinds of good pups with em, not just Strat pups.)

10. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

I have a featherweight strat with a Paulownia body that is surprisingly loud and has a lot of low and low mid frequiencies. Lightweight bodies can sound thin but sometimes they don't. Depends on the body/neck combo.

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes too light is as bad as too heavy if not worse in tone and sustain department.

12. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

This man is a genius! See below...

13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That's the way I usually hear it too. Beefier guitars often tend to sound a little, well beefier and have more sustain. Lightweight ones have either sounded plinky or real hollow to me. Sometimes real heavy ones sound muted, or compressed and not as much dynamics.

14. scuzzo

scuzzo Member

i have gotten rid of two strats for the very reason they are too light,,
    i have a light guitar,, its just does not have the feel of and nice heft,
    i dont think it sounds as good either..

15. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

Some of you guys must not remember the eighties when we all thought heavier was better and all the companies were making all these guitars with brass parts, heavy bodies, inserting metal parts in the bodies, all trying to increase sustain, and ended up increasing chiropractor traffic. With wood you never know, your ear is the final judge.

16. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

This.

17. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

My alder and maple top strato-like is 6.4lbs and sounds great. It has that classic hollow and woody strat thing in spades.

18. slowhand66

slowhand66 Member

I have had lighter strat bodies (alder, basswood) and heavier strat bodies (hard ash, maple). None sound thin, but all sound different. Depends what tone you after.

19. 1stormcat

1stormcat Member

The guitar plays well but it sounds thin. It still has the stock fender pickups in it that I will be swapping out for a set of Don Mare super sports set.

I'm also thinking of changing the hard tail bridge for a callaham set up. Anybody had any luck with the callaham bridges?[FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]