Can a tubescreamer/OD pedal be used as a volume boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jimmyohio75, Sep 26, 2008.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Can it? OR do I simply need to buy a volume boost pedal?

2. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

3. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I have used mine for many years as a volume/solo boost. It is quite good as a solo boost as it adds quite a bit of mids to your signal so you can cut through the mix. It is definitely not a transparent boost but it works. Just lower the drive (or keep it up if you want it) and crank up the volume. Voila!

4. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Yup. Gain down + volume up = clean boost (how clean depends on the pedal...)

I use my CMATMODS Butah that way; I have the volume dimed, and I use the gain knob to adjust the amount of boost I want... it works & sounds great.

5. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

My Analogman TS doesn't have much output vol at all.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

FWIW-If your using a pedal to boost a high gain sound the best place to do it is in the loop. Wether or not the TS will work in the loop in such a case I dont know. i have tried using mine in my SS loop as I usually use an EQ pedal for the job. Sort of a "virtual" 3rd channel complete with tone and volume controls. Of coarse clean to lower gain dirty sounds will be boosted sufficiently with a pedal out in front. Bob

7. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

i use my keeley bd-2 as a clean boost for acoustic gigs.... works perfectly.

8. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

Anyone else using the Ashbass TS9 mod for this? How about "whisper mode"?

9. jstone

jstone Member

If you cut out the 2 diodes in the firts op amps feedback loop it becomes a treble boost. Replace the bias cap and it is a full range boost:)
    My version of the circuit has switches for both.

10. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

Whoa dude,where have you been? Are you talking about starting with the TS9 or with Ashley's curcuit?

11. jstone

jstone Member

A stock TS what so ever number will do. :)
    Start with cutting the 2 diodes to the left edge of the circuit board,

12. joepopp

joepopp Member

A single TS or clone will work as a boost but I have not much luck using 2 in a row (one for crunch and one for boost). My best results are using a tubescreamer followed by an MXR microamp.

13. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

So you could take a modded pedal and add the two switches you're talking about?

14. jstone

jstone Member

Yes.. any YS style pedal will do. In my version of the TS I have 3 different values of the biasing cap and 3 different clipping modes.

You can easy built a similar clipping stage with 5 diodes on a bread bard and a three way switch to toggle from asymmetrical., symmetrical, or none.

15. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

I'll check out your site. !!! Too late right now to comprehend all the possibilities. I'm still looking for the lowest gain natural sound while retaining the TS " bounce">

16. jstone

jstone Member

I found a gut shot of the TS9
    [​IMG]
    The capacitor 0.047uF is setting the treble boost frequency. Larger size= more bottom being amplified by the drive stage.
    Since the stock corner frequency is 720 hz will doubling the value to 0.1uF result in a corner frequency of slightly under 360hz. 0.22 hz = about half of this again 170 etc etc.

A tip is to place three capacitors of different values on a breadboard and a 3 way toggle to select this frequency. Since the middle selection will always be on place the smallest value there and the other values to left and right of this. If then the centre cap is 0.047 it will produce a treble boost over 720 hz. if you to the right add a equal size cap will this value be added to the centre and that will work as a single 0.094 uF capacitor producing a 360hz treble boost. If you to the left place a larger capacitor it will be even lower... add a 0.1uF will result in 180hz... 0.022uF will be 540hz!
    :)
    The Diodes... are not always in the same place.. here is a gut shot..
    [​IMG]
    The diodes are the 2 located under the ceramic cap between IC op amp pin 1 and 2.

17. cugel

cugel Member

my cjod spec'd screamer does a clean boost with volume up and drive down and the tone off for crying out loud. that goes for all of you
    but i am sure some fet boost will be cleaner etc

18. TYY

TYY Member

It will work, but it acts as a very intense EQ and compressor. It will rob dynamics, and drastically change the tone.

19. imissmj

imissmj Member

I use a TIM as my boost right now, last thing in my chain.

20. jstone

jstone Member

The question was Can a TS9 act as a clean boost. And honestly what I have described is only about the TS9 or any other TS.

A tim or timmy is NOT at all a TS.