Can a Zoom pedal be "boutique"?? Maybe in this case...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JimmyR, Mar 3, 2008.

1. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Zoom PD-01 Power Drive. No longer made, completely analogue and reasonably cheap.

I recently got another Guild Starfire III as I had foolishly sold my first. As I like to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon I tried it with all of my different OD pedals to see which was a good match with the guitar and my Tweed Twin clone, as this amp goes beautifully with this guitar. Well I tried my all-time fave, my Bad Cat Two-tone and sure enough it sounds fantastic. Then I try it with a Menatone Working Man's Blue and VOS, an Xotic BB, a Timmy, a Lovepedal Eternity and a BYOC TS.

Well I just can't believe how good the Zoom PD-01 sounds with this combo. With bass on full and treble at around 11.00 I can get the guitar to sound almost exactly how it does with no pedal but with a lovely singing crunch that it very touch senstive and chirpy. The Menatones which sound so good with a Gretsch or 335 sound slightly artificial by comparison. The Timmy sounds pretty ordinary with this combo where it sounds so good with other guitars and amps.

So I guess it tells me two things - one is that the PD-01 is a better pedal than most tone snobs would give it credit for. I kinda already knew that! And secondly not all pedals work with all guitars and amps. I am amazed it the quality of sound I am getting from the Guild (also criminally under-rated!), the PD-01 and my lo-po Twin.

I also have the Zoom Ultra Fuzz that they released at the same time and it's my favourite fuzz pedal. I wish that they'd pursued thses types of pedals more because they are both excellent pedals and the rest of the Zoom stuff totally leaves me cold!

2. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

It was My first "Boutique" pedal. And also My 73rd.:D

3. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Hey utterhack I'd completely forgotten about that thread! I even contributed on the first page! But as I think it was you said - I'm having to convince myself I'm hearing what I'm hearing to a degree. It may indeed just be the right combination of gear but it sounds fab.

I guess it just shows that you can't judge a book by it's cover. I am not generally a fan of Zoom gear but like to think I'm open-minded enough to try something. And in this case it has been very worthwhile. I've been selling off a lot of stuff but will be hanging onto this pedal just to use with my Guild.

4. Electric I

Electric I Member

'Boutique' or not, I've had positive experiences with zoom od/distortions. I still use a 707 for noodlin' in the basement & the g2 into a 15W tube amp live.

Mind you, there's only one particular od/dist flavor I find usable in each unit, but that's the way of all multi boxes I've tried over the years.

5. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

I have two overdrive pedals on my board, a Zendrive, and right next to it, a Zoom PD-01. I mostly use the Zoom with the gain turned all the way down as a boost, either with or without the Zendrive engaged. Fattens things up nicely!

6. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Boutique means "a small company that offers highly specialized services or products" http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/boutique

It might be a great, underappreciated pedal, but it is not boutique. It was made on a large scale in a factory. It doesn't make it any worse, I'm just pointing out what the word means.

Still, thanks for drawing attention to something that doesn't get as much discussion around here. I love when people find great tones in pedals people may have never given a chance to. :BEER

7. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I guess I was using the word "boutique" with irony. I don't think any pedal needs to be "boutique" to be good, it just has to be good. I think the major reason for me not using mainstream pedals would be the buffer thing. Make it TBP and I'll try it!