Can any Firewire interface hang with my current front end?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by enharmonic, Jul 25, 2008.

1. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I've been thinking of parting with my Great River MP2NV and Crane Song HEDD to generate some much needed $$. Are any of the Firewire interfaces available today up to the task of standing in for my current front end?

2. retro

retro Member

Are you on a Mac or PC?

If your on a PC I dunno...

I'm familiar with the GR ME-1NV but not the Hedd...considering the color and processing nothing I can think of would exactly duplicate your front end of course.

But if you are using Mac's, Metric Halo's ULN-2 FW interface in any of it's iterations is very capable of standing up on it's own. If one wants color there's a Jensen transformer option also.

http://www.mhsecure.com/v5mm/ULN2_2dExpanded.html

3. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

I have not found an all-in-one firewire solution since they all seem to fall short in the preamp section. I have an RME Fireface 800, which I think is a great firewire based system with decent a/d, but the preamps in the Fireface are close to being unusable except for tom tom's and scratch tracks.

The Metric Halo does seem rather impressive, and worth checking out.

So, I guess in conclusion, you will need a couple mic pres to make the RME interfaces shine.

Post your findings-

G

4. GP_Hawk

GP_Hawk Member

Prism Orpheus maybe? With 4 high end mic pre's. I'm considering this myself but have yet not demo'd one. It's close for sure and if you know anything about prism, definately high end. From others accounts the pre's are of the pristine, clean sounding variety. Worth a look.

5. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Thanks guys! I'm on a Mac G5 running Logic Pro (and occasionally Cubase). The Metric Halo w/ Jensen's looks mighty interesting...and affordable.

I know that as with most things...you get what you pay for...but if I can stay in the ballpark and pick up a nice wad of cash in the process, I'll consider it a win. The MP2NV and Hedd 192 still hold their value quite well...and though I realize that the Hedd is in a class by itself, I might be able to compensate for some of it's mojo in other ways :)

6. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You won't save any money but you can get AD cards for some of the mid-price Focusrite preamps. Check out Sweetwater for lists of the pres that have built-in AD convertors. However, if you've got a sound you love, I'd recommend NOT changing it, unless you've tried the replacement product with your rig and you're happy. What you don't want to do is sell at a loss, buy something else retail, hate it, sell at a loss and buy back what you really want retail (so you've lost 3X the difference between new and used-10-40% depending on what you're selling-almost enough to pay for the firewire interface in addition to what you've already got invested). If you can get to Sweetwater or Full Compass or some other place that has the pre's/interfaces up and running, you can try them out...

8. riker4208

riker4208 Member

A far cheaper option if you want to save a lot would be the mackie satellite. It has onyx pres which sound amazing. Also has firewire connectivity. I know people talk bad about them, but we recorded our last CD on it. Came out great.

9. gitman

gitman Member

10. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

Excellent choice - and for a 2 more inputs/mic pres and some other nice option, the Onyx 400F isn't a bad choice either!

http://www.mackie.com/products/400f/index.html

I have one - the Pres aren't quite as good as my Neve 1073s, but I actually like them BETTER than my FocusRite ISAs!