1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can anybody answer a Reason question?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Chiba, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I recently got Reason 3 to take over for my very tired and dated-sounding outboard synth modules, as well as to do some drum programming.

So far I 'get' Reason pretty well and am learning it fairly quickly.

Now I'm trying to integrate it into Pro Tools (using LE 6.1). I can get it to let me play Reason patches through the RTAS plug-in interface in an audio channel, but I can't get it (PT) to record the audio signal.

Any ideas? I've been through the manuals and can't quite make this last step.

--chiba

2. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

Very good question

I did this the other day.

For this to work, Reason needs to be setup in an Auxiliary track (stereo or mono, depending on what you're doing) and not an audio track

Set up the output of your auxiliary track to a bus (mono or stereo, depending on the patch).

Then open a new audio track (again, mono or stereo depending)

Set the input of that track to the bus you asigned to the auxiliary channel with Reason (use the fader from the aux track to adjust your levels)

Set the output of the audio track to your Mix L-R

Arm to record, and record the track.

Essentially, you're "bouncing" the audio. I also do this when I want to print guitar tones with Amplitube (it uses a lot of system resources, so I print the track, then close the plug-in).

Don't worry, it's easier than it sounds. I've done this a few times, and it works really well.

I find that, since your using ReWire to run Reason (or any other external software synth/sampler), you just need to use an Auxiliary Track as opposed to an audio track. The system resources will thank you, and you can still use different plugins on an Aux. All the sounds will get printed when you bounce to disk.

Feel free to e-mail/PM me if you're having problems.

Good luck!

3. Chiba

Cool, thanks - I'll try that! Never would have occurred to me to try it through an Aux Track.

I'm going to e-mail you another question :)

--chiba

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Melon nailed it. That's how you record any RTAS soft synth.

Do yourself one favor: After recording the audio, see how it lines up with the MIDI track. I've found that no matter how I set the MIDI latency compensation, I still need to jog the audio recording back a bit to where it belongs.

5. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

You might want to check out reFuse. We use this to run Reason and ProTools in real time, then we finally bounce over to ProTools when we're ready to use the final Reason data.

http://www.refusesoftware.com/

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

He shouldn't need reFuse. It sounds like he can already run Reason with Pro Tools via Rewire.

Bryan

7. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

Rewire does seem to be the standard way of doing it.

I've bounced drums from Redrum in Reason with just rewire with no latency issues.

The only time I've encountered latency was with Amplitube and Sampletank (both being the lite versions bundled with PTLE). So far, things were fine with Reason.

8. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

E-mailed you a reply.

Cheers!

9. Chiba

Thanks MK, I'll be sure to check that out. Melon walked me through incorporating MIDI into the Reason/PT process so I won't have to play everything in real time.

It's my first experience with a 'soft' synth, I'm pretty psyched about it actually. Now I won't always have to dig up a string quartet or brass quintet to get the music in my mind onto 'tape'. Of course, I'm probably less likely to play those parts with a guitar now, but c'est la vie.

I'm super-impressed with the sounds I can use through Reason and a couple of Refills. The cello sound in the Orchestra RF from Propellerhead is about a hundred times more natural sounding than anything in my outboard synth modules - and I used to think they were a good ways better than decent.

Andy - thanks for the suggestion, but I'm hesitant to add anything else to the mix when Rewire seems to be doing the trick. Did you guys make reFuse as a Rewire alternative, or was it available before PH came up with Rewire or something?

--chiba

10. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Chiba, it was probably due to reFuse being available first since it was an older setup.