Can anybody give me an idea what may be wrong with my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thrashmetl, Oct 6, 2008.

1. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

So I bought a Hot Rod Deluxe a few months back and a few weeks after I got it I noticed some fluxuations in the sound. It would be normal and then intermittently get weak for a few seconds and go back to normal and go back and forth like that for a bit. The reverb would also completely cut out as well (reverb is solid state on these I believe). After a while it would stop happening, I'm assuming after it warmed up. Lately it's gotten a lot worse, any idea what could be wrong? Could it just be that I need a retube or could it be something worse?

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Sounds like a tube problem to me. Based on your desciption - I'd guess power tubes but, you could also check the preamp tubes as well.

3. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

It could also be a problem with the low voltage power supply. Is the amp new and under warranty? If so, try retubing with some old "known-good" tubes (always keep those, never pitch 'em), and if the problem still does not go away, get it serviced at a Fender Warranty Service Center. There are usually one or two of these in every major metro area - In Dallas, we have Slimmons Electronics.

4. AstroStrat89

AstroStrat89 Member

Well, I just got my 3 year old Pro Jr. out of the shop with a really weird tremolo issue. The big issue was that the Pro Jr doesn't have a tremolo.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=439005

Tech stated that it was the filter caps, also stated that my power tubes were bad (even though I just got a new set of JJ's).

I guess what you are describing may be a very slow tremolo effect? But like most say, try known working tubes then go to a tech from there.

5. Flux

Flux Member

:roll:roll:roll

6. cfdude

cfdude Member

Check this site out under repair help. The biggest thing with these amps is bad solder joints. Real easy to take the board out and resolder. Drain the filter caps before you start. http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

7. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

Would bad tubes cause the reverb to cut in and out though?

8. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

No. The reverb send and return is all solid state on the HRDx, Deville and Pro Jr.

9. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I have had similar issues with mine lately. I have wanted to do something about it (besides the obvious re-tube which helped a little) but am too lazy right now since I got a new amp coming in later this month. It only acts out during the first minute or two of use so I am over it for now. I am assuming it's a cap issue or solder since I have had it for so long. I'll check it out later.