Can anybody with AutoCAD help?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sir M, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Sir M

Sir M Member

I have a .DWG of the drawing I need, but it is a JPEG of the .DWG. I need an actual .DWG file to send to the machine shop. The drawing is really simple... it is 2 faceplates for a stereo amp project I'm working on. A buddy of mine who drew the .DWG has gone MIA. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I used to be a design drafter and I have Autocad and Solidworks at home. What do you need? To have this design recreated?

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

Can't you just save it as a .dwg file? I haven't used AutoCad in about 6 years but it seems I remember that option being there. I could be mistaken.

b

4. butrus

butrus Member

There is free to download DWF and DWG viewer on acad oficial site if that helps any

5. jaydawg76

jaydawg76 Member

You are going to have to have it redrawn. Any conversion from jpeg to dwg will most likely not be usable by the machine shop (trust me, I program and operate a cnc as my day job).

If you know at least one dimension from the original drawing then the rest can be scaled. But either way you need to find someone to redraw it for you.

6. Sir M

Sir M Member

JayDawg is right. It has to be redrawn. IS there anybody out there? :D

7. Sir M

Sir M Member

It has to be redrawn. If you'd be interested, I'll pay $$ or kick down a few pedals...

8. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

I have been doing drafting and engineering for 20+ years. I'll take a look at it. PM me and we can talk.

9. Sir M

Sir M Member

PM-ed... thankyou.

10. studiodunn

studiodunn Silver Supporting Member

email me the image and at least one dimension(for scaling) and I'll help you out.

11. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

I program CNC machines also. Kind of funny and maybe you can relate. Ever get a file from a customer who designs only (not mfg) and tries to help "speed you along" because they don't think you should be "wasting time" redrawing their stuff and when you ask if they fudged any dims or geometry they say "Oh, it needs to be drawn to scale? Nevermind."

12. jaydawg76

jaydawg76 Member

Oh my god, YES! I've got a few customers like that. I make parts for this surfboard maker and every single drawing I get from them has line ends that don't meet or are at different Z heights, all kinds of funky stuff. Then they want to know why they are being billed for an extra 3 hours of programming time.

Just so the rest of you guys know, the process of creating the programming for a CNC machine will expose every fault or inaccuracy in a CAD drawing. Then end product is only as good as the drawing you start with.

13. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

Sounds like you got it covered. If you don't let me know. Boy Auriemma, a whole 20 years? I hope you're not as condescending as your post, especially since you don't know how long anybody else has been doing it. (30 years for me).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  14. Sir M

Sir M Member

WTF? Condescending? I didn't get that. Joe is nice enough to reply and is putting the drawing together, correcting the drawing as necessary. He is helpful, friendly, and affable. Maybe you should move along...

15. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

I've only been doing it for 19 years, thats why I didn't offer. ( just kidding - please no one get mad)

16. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

Sorry guys... I didn't mean it to be taken or sound like that. I was just trying to state that I had experience in Autocad and design work.

And thats 20+ years. :stir

And yes... Its done. Just waiting on delivery info. :D

And to show I'm a nice guy... No charge Sir M!

17. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

Sorry man. I got too touchy.