• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Can anyone answer some questions about the PRS S2 Starla?

squeally dan

Silver Supporting Member
I’m looking for a guitar to compliment my #1 (tele) and I have my eyes on a used Starla S2. A few questions:

1. Is $800 good for a used one (2019) that is in really good condition?

2. I had a similar model. I think a Vela but can’t remember. There was some neck dive and the scale length felt a bit weird. How’s the Starla? Neck dive?

3. I’ve always enjoyed Bigsbys but am wonder if tuning, intonation, changing strings will be a pain. Yes?

Chicago Slim

I've owned 3 core line Starla's.

You are looking at $900 to $1200, for a core model, with better pickups, better Bigsby and a hard Shell case. So, $800 would be a little high for me.

They tend to be very light and comfortable. I've never seen any neck dive.

Mine had good intonation and stayed in tune. Changing strings are real pain. I added Vibramate Spoiler's, to make string changing easier. (See picture below)

Starla's had the first PRS pickups, that I liked. Today, you can adjust the 85/15S pickups in a SE or S2, to sound really good. I love the S2 line, but you may not have to limit yourself to Starla or Vela's. I currently play Strat's and Custom 22's.

I hope this helps.

squeally dan

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned 3 core line Starla's.

You are looking at $900 to $1200, for a core model, with better pickups, better Bigsby and a hard Shell case. So, $800 would be a little high for me.

They tend to be very light and comfortable. I've never seen any neck dive.

Mine had good intonation and stayed in tune. Changing strings are real pain. I added Vibramate Spoiler's, to make string changing easier. (See picture below)

Starla's had the first PRS pickups, that I liked. Today, you can adjust the 85/15S pickups in a SE or S2, to sound really good. I love the S2 line, but you may not have to limit yourself to Starla or Vela's. I currently play Strat's and Custom 22's.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful stuff! When I look up S2 Starlas on Reverb, most are $1000 or higher so I was surprised by what you said about prices. Maybe I’m looking at the wrong thing. It has moons and not the birds.

Chicago Slim

I won't buy off the internet, anymore. I've got a lot of guitars (I don't need anything badly), and a shop where they know me. A few years ago, they were selling core Starla's, for $700. But, times have changed. As much as I liked Starla's, they are unusual guitars. I hate to advise someone to buy one, without playing and comparing, first. I bought mine, because I couldn't adapt to Gretsch necks. Although, I still love their looks and sound.

squeally dan

Silver Supporting Member
I won't buy off the internet, anymore. I've got a lot of guitars (I don't need anything badly), and a shop where they know me. A few years ago, they were selling core Starla's, for $700. But, times have changed. As much as I liked Starla's, they are unusual guitars. I hate to advise someone to buy one, without playing and comparing, first. I bought mine, because I couldn't adapt to Gretsch necks. Although, I still love their looks and sound.

Love the cherry.

Kabukiman

An early one has been my favourite guitar for years now. I think they're an excellent instrument, although I would really like to try the scale length on the old core model (not common where I live).

No neck dive. Very comfortable guitar. You may notice that they are chunky down at the nut, but I think if you've had another S2 it will be the same neck profile. The bigsby works okay... the arm on mine used to loosen off a bit and click when I used it (loctite on the nut did the trick). I swapped a bunch of stuff on mine, but I have to say there was nothing wrong with the original bridge or pickups. I just wanted to try other things.

squeally dan

Silver Supporting Member
An early one has been my favourite guitar for years now. I think they're an excellent instrument, although I would really like to try the scale length on the old core model (not common where I live).

No neck dive. Very comfortable guitar. You may notice that they are chunky down at the nut, but I think if you've had another S2 it will be the same neck profile. The bigsby works okay... the arm on mine used to loosen off a bit and click when I used it (loctite on the nut did the trick). I swapped a bunch of stuff on mine, but I have to say there was nothing wrong with the original bridge or pickups. I just wanted to try other things.

Awesome thanks. Is that an S2?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom