can anyone compare a pro analog dual drive to.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zzzzzzz, Jan 13, 2008.

1. zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz Supporting Member

can anyone compare a pro analog dual drive to:

landgraff DO, KOT, or timmy? i've heard some very good comments about the dual drive but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there about it. just wondering if anyone is crazy about it.

thanks.

andrew

2. georgeb4

georgeb4 Member

I can only compare it to the Timmy but to be honest I'm not crazy about either one. The dual drive brought my AC30 and Bandmaster into Marshall territory. I liked the breakup but couldn't dial out the high-mid hump. The Timmy was more straightforward sounding. I have read a lot of great things about both of these pedals so maybe with the right rig, player, style, taste, etc. either one could be your thing.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned the Timmy and had a couple of Dual Drives in my hands:

Timmy: very transparent, slightly harsh with AC30s, great EQ control, medium gain.

Dual Drive: more of a bass roll-off, higher gain with the two switches, more compressed, smoother.

I think there's a place for both, really... OTOH, Timmy's are cheap and easy to get if you're patient. I've heard things that make me reluctant to send my money in for a Dual Drive.

4. zzzzzzz

thanks for the replys you guys.

i currently own a timmy, landgraff DO, and KOT (and love all 3) through dr z z28 and delta 88 amps and i was just wondering how the dual drive compared to see if i was missing anything but so far it doesn't sound like it.

any more opinions about the dual drive are definitely still welcome. thanks.

5. blueprint

blueprint Member

I have all the pedals you mentioned, but not the same amps...;)
    The dual drive is more "hi fi" and definitively less middy than the Landy, a bit more colored than the Timmy but with a rather different eq. It differs a lot from the KOT, because it's either a "clean" boost or an OD where the KOT is actually two pedals you can stack.
    It's very touch sensitive like the yellow channel of the KOT, and cleans up very well without loosing highs with your guitar's volume pot.
    Hope this helped...

6. georgeb4

georgeb4 Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I don't want people to get the wrong idea. According to the rules of conduct debate is encouraged as long as it is not argumentative, harassing, rude, vulgar, obscene, religious, political, etc. I think it's important on a forum for people to be able to debate the relative merits of products, both good and bad.

7. zzzzzzz

thanks for the review blueprint. i might just try out the dual drive if i can snag one used.

i agree with you georgeb4. ;)