Can anyone compare Fat Cats to TV Jones pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by planetal, Feb 28, 2008.

1. planetal

planetal Member

I have a Hamer Newport with Duncan Fat Cats in it.. I really do like the guitar much, although I find the neck pickup a big muddy. Can anyone here tell me the difference in sound and feel between the Fat Cats and TV Jones pickups.
    I don't specifically know which pickups will fit in the standard humbucker slots the Newport has, but honestly I'm not in love with the Fat Cats. I do really like the feel and vibe of the guitar though. I do play mostly in the blues idiom, but want something a tad more clear when clean in the neck and smooth yet gritty in the bridge.

Al

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Have you tried lowering the pup a bit? I just put a phat cat in the neck of my SG and at first it was a bit muddy, but once I lowered it, it was much clearer. I have a friend who has a PRS Singlecut with a phat cat in the neck and a tv jones in the bridge, and it kicks total ass.

3. fieldhdj

fieldhdj Member

Which TV Jones pickups? The samples on his web page are a good guide.

I use his powertrons, classics, and magnatrons in a few different guitars. All have a basic filtertron sound, but classics are like vintage Gretsch filtertrons, the powertron's are a bit more midrangey, more in Gibson territory, and the magnatrons are more dynasonic, single coil-like, twangy, with lots of sparkle.

I like 'em all, though I'd probably go with Classics in the Newport.

I have not tried his Hi-Lo'trons or his Super'trons, but the buzz is pretty good about the Supers.

You can get any of them in standard 'bucker size.

http://www.tvjones.com/home/home.htm

Good luck!

4. planetal

planetal Member

thanks much for the replies.. I do like the magnatron and classic recordings on the web. I think I might go that way (magnatron)...I don't want it too hot, but I do want more sparkle.

I've raised and lowered the pickups on my Newport, the phat cat's just aren't cutting it for me, especially in the neck.

5. fieldhdj

fieldhdj Member

The Magnatron is a great choice. I paired a Magnatron in the bridge of a G5120 with a P90 in the neck - my favorite "everyday" guitar.

6. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Magnatrons are beautiful sounding pickups - quite single-coil sounding in a lot of ways. Another I can recoomend is Lindy Fralin's P92. It's not as midrangey as a P90 and has excellent clarity and sweetness. Can't go wrong with either TV Jones or Fralin.