Can anyone compare Fillmore and Goodwood pickups for me?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Brian Yarbrough, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Brian Yarbrough

Brian Yarbrough Supporting Member

I may have narrowed my pup search for pups for my Santana III. I was wondering if anyone had experience with both Fillmore and Goodwood pickups. I play through a Shiva and use a Klon for my gain. I am not a high gain person. I play a lot of blues and southern rock (clean and distorted). I like a good bit of chunk not fuzz and good string separation. I guess you could tie in Bad Company, AC/DC, etc. I am also a big Skynyrd fan and Allman Bros. I LOVE Dickie Betts neck pickup tone.

Any help?

2. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Goodwoods are hotter.......I think you might like the fillmores better

3. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

crazy 8's, I think you have that bass-ackwards. My bridge goodwood measures in the 9k range and Fillmores are over 11k.

Brian, the best wagner for you would probably be the darkburst set. It is like a goodwood with more string separation and PAF-iness. These days I am really digging a darkburst in the neck with a goodwood in the bridge.

4. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

FWIW, i have a fillmore set and they DONT sound like high output pickups like one may think...

6. Brian Yarbrough

Oddly enough, after listening to the soundclips, I am leaning toward the Fillmores. I was afraid they might be too hot, but the tone on soundclips sounds closer to what I am looking for. Of course, tone also depends on the gutiar and amp, so it is all a crap shoot I guess.

7. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Hmmmm for some reaon I thought the goodwoods were thicker and hotter?? These were the ones recommended to me when I had my Thorn and it had suhrs in it and I wanted to really thicken up the guitar since it was so light weight.....

8. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

The DC resistance you cite in this case is misleading as the Goodwood's are higher output (I have both). WCR's probably using different guage wire for these 2 pickups.

9. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

I agree that the gws are thicker sounding. And yes, DC resistance is misleading in WCR"s pickups. I still reccomend a darkburst set or a betset for our boy up here, due to his love of note separation.

10. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

I have both and these are my observations. Goodwoods are not as hot, yet they sound thick and chunky and more midrange(works great in my swampash anderson which was thin to begin with). The fillmore is smoother and can be fuzzier, with more gain and more high's and lows. The fillmore splits better, because it uses a thinner gauge wire(same as the SR single coils so more strat sounding) than the goodwood's or darkbursts. For less gain and more definition, I would stick with the Goodwood, or Darkburst or Bett set.

11. Brian Yarbrough

I got an email from Jim and he said the bet set was almost identical to the crossroads set. I am wanting zebra bobbins so the bet set is out. I can't get them any other way than the way he does them. bforest, funny you should say the fillmores can be fuzzier. When I listened to the soundclips, I thought the goodwoods sounded a bit fuzzier and the fillmores more chunky. what amp did you play through with these pickups? I had a darkburst bridge and crossroads neck in my old BLE McCarty. I liked them but I thought the neck could be a tad thicker (not muddy) for my tastes. I think a little more mid push in the darkburst would have been nice. Not being critical, these sounded much better than the stock pups, I just have very particular ears (sometimes too particular where it drives me nuts).

I guess it is like the guitar/pickup comparison on the PRS DVD, the amp settings to me sound so fuzzy, I can't tell the difference in the tones of the pickups. They all sound the same to me.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member