Can anyone compare Larrivee L-09 rosewood and OM-03 rosewood?

jackroylee

I already have the OM-03 rosewood, love it so much.But to my ear it lacks of bass. And I wonder if it is worth to get a L-09 for a better sounding acoustic guitar?

I did some research, some ppl say L-09 is more versatile than OM-03, overall is better than OM-03,

I play chord melody, strumming, flat picking, finger style, john mayer and Andy Mckee style. Is L-09 great for these styles?

Thanks

flcmcya

Silver Supporting Member
Played a LV-09 at Namm... Talk about Balanced...

Sonic Orgasm! :bkw

DanR

I have an L-03R (rosewood). When I bought it, I compared it to the OM and both guitars in rosewood or mahogany (4 guitars total, obviously, at the time Elderly had all of them in stock). I wanted to like the OM more for aesthetic reasons but I found the 'L' to be more versatile with more low end. I also preferred rosewood over mahogany.

Last edited:

ndnikola

Have an LV-10E and coudln't be happier. Beautiful balanced tone, great for both strumming and fingerpicking. Not sure how much more you would need to pay on one that is used, however, as they are not as common.

lamenlovinit

With Larrivees, until you get down into the OO and smaller models, I have found that there is going to be less tone difference between models with the same wood then there will be with many other makers. So an L, Dread, and OM will have more in common than a dread and OM from Martin.

And there will be no difference (except for the small differences you will always find between guitars of the same model) between a 9 and 3-R.

So between an L and OM, I would always just lean to the one that fits my body most comfortably. Lets face it, these days unplugged volume just isn't as important as it once was. And that's where the L probably is "superior" to the OM.

jackroylee

With Larrivees, until you get down into the OO and smaller models, I have found that there is going to be less tone difference between models with the same wood then there will be with many other makers. So an L, Dread, and OM will have more in common than a dread and OM from Martin.

And there will be no difference (except for the small differences you will always find between guitars of the same model) between a 9 and 3-R.

So between an L and OM, I would always just lean to the one that fits my body most comfortably. Lets face it, these days unplugged volume just isn't as important as it once was. And that's where the L probably is "superior" to the OM.
Good point,so you think the OM and L's tone are very similar?

lamenlovinit

Good point,so you think the OM and L's tone are very similar?
Yes. Other than volume, it's pretty hard to tell my 12 fret OOO-50 from my 12 fret SD-50. No huge difference in bass response. A little? Sure. But again nothing like a Martin d-18 vs. a OM-18.

Mojo Shinn

Silver Supporting Member
I bought an OM-09 originally, but sent it back to Larrivee on a (very rare) neck alignment issue. They responded (with zero hassle I might add) with an offer to replace the guitar. Because I had recently played one and preferred the tone, I opted for a L-09 for the replacement. Comparing these two guitars directly, the L definitely has more bass, is quite a bit louder, and a more versatile balance between the highs, lows and mids.... the OM by contrast, had a sound that worked especially well with fingerstyle - especially if you don't use a lot of nail or thumbpick (IMO). I've had the L-09 for 12 years now, and the sound has opened up and matured beautifully... I think the OM is a good design, but the L is a great design. It also doesn't hurt that Larrivee's customer service has been exceptional.

serviviente7

It's a matter of taste really...the reason I bought the OM was precisely because I did not wanted the extra bass that is quite notizable to me as the guitar sit on the mix...I wanted more of a flat balanced frequency possible to begin with....for fingerpicking I love the OM....

Dereksslide

I play chord melody, strumming, flat picking, finger style, john mayer and Andy Mckee style. Is L-09 great for these styles?
Thanks
So basically you play everything and anything and want one guitar that is great at it?

It's unlikely to happen, there will be sacrifices somewhere along the line.

To cover all of those I'd be looking at a spruce/rosewood OM/000 or a spruce/mahogany Dreadnaught, but both will have failings in certain areas as you've found out.

Are you planning on keeping the OM? If so I would look at getting a dreadnaught, D-03 would work if you want to stick with Larrivee, but if you really want bass a Martin is probably the way to go, a used D-18 or D-28 (or new if budget allows).

Trending Topics