can anyone compare ocd to eternity

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bullet69, Dec 2, 2005.

1. bullet69

bullet69 Member

i have a ocd and am interested in the eternity im sure someone hear has both or has had both are they similar or completely different i like the ocd but everything i have gotten from sean is amazing so its got me wondering.

2. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

I have an OCD and I will be getting my Eternity in the mail on Monday. I asked the same exact question on a post a few months back and never got a response. In a couple of days I will be able to answer the question for both of us.

3. bullet69

bullet69 Member

cool dude thanks im lookin forward to it

4. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

5. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

The Eternity has a much smoother response to me. The note are nice and round on some settings. The OCD was very raspy sounding to me and didn't have the touch response of the Eternity. The Eternity is a more versatile pedal. Can do clean boost, Overdrive, treble boost and almost get's into distortion territory. I also like the way the Eternity cleans up with the volumes a bit better than the OCD does. Both clean up but the "E" does it a bit better. If I had to sum it up in a word I'd say the Eternity is much more "refined".

6. prsflame

prsflame Member

I use both, and I agree. The Eternity is very smooth. It has a sweet, singing sustain when used for leads. I can also get some nice Distorted Rythmn/crunch tones that sound similar to a Marshall. Again, the pedal stays very smooth, and transparent. I'm also amazed at how well the pedal responds to the guitars volume knob.

The OCD is very "edgy" I use this pedal on my board to add a different flavor of distortion. It's also very transparent. It excels at rythmn work, and you can get a variety of rock/classic rock tones. My only gripe is that I don't care for how the OCD sounds with single coils. To my ears, there is a harshness in the tone that I can't easily dial out. The Eternity sounds great with both singles/buckers.

For reference, I'm playing both pedals through a Top Hat Club Deluxe (6V6's)

7. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

Just ordered an Eternity tonite. I also really like my OCD and can't wait to try the "E". Maybe, just maybe I'll have it in time for Xmas.

8. bullet69

bullet69 Member

I have one on the way:D

9. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

can the Eternity get a raspy crunch with a clean amp & single coils ?

10. drolling

drolling Member

Yes, it's not another of the all-pervasive midboosted ODs. Plenty of treble on tap & nice, tight lows.

I'm also primarily a s/c player, the E's a very good match w/strats & teles.

All my amps are single channel non master, so most of my distortion's coming from speaker attenuators & pedals like the Eternity.

The old fenders seem to like just about any old pedal, but my vox is picky about what I put in front of it, and it's getting along fine w/eternity- but more as a boost. To get rasp & crunch out of the vox, I've had to go to these really strange pedals made by a mad Swedish professor.

11. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

do you mean BJF ?

12. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

So an Eternity is smoother than an OCD...? Hummm:cool:

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yes, Eternity is much smoother than the OCD. The OCD has a hyped low end, especially at moderate to high gain settings. And the mids are a little too scooped for my tastes, even the version two.

The Eternity has all the frequencey response I'd ask for. A nice bite when you need it, but liquid smooth too.

Here's a clip I did at low volume, just goofing around. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1704145949159779070&hl=en

14. TB1000

TB1000 Member

The OCD has a more open uncompressed feel, with a nice strong bass and even top end.
    The Eternity is more compressed sounding, thus some of the smoothness, but also has a bit of a roll-off in the high end, although not as muffled as a standard tubescreamer. This gives it a great smokey tone color.
    Both do different things and have different uses. If you want to hear the dynamics of your amp more, stick with the OCD. If you want something to smooth out your amp's dynamics and give you a more buttery lead sound, stick with the Eternity. Or, keep both on the board for bigger variety.

15. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

16. street

street Member

I have an OCD v1, v2 and the Eternity and based on my experiences TB1000's post described the differences perfectly.

17. G&L Player

G&L Player Member

Hey PRSFLAME,
    I've got an Eternity on the way, and will be playing it through a TopHat Club Deluxe. I know how picky the amp can be with pedals (I've heard the Eternity with the TopHat, and loved it). Any other pedals you've found that work with the TopHat (I love the MI Blues Pro with the Deluxe).

Chris

18. carlygtr69

carlygtr69 Guest

19. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

You go , Carly, nice Beckish playing. Fellow OCD users need to stand our ground on this board, it's in danger of becoming a non-stop Eternity love-fest!