1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone compare the Fender Super Champ XD vs Roland Cube?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by monkmiles, Feb 13, 2009.

1. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Who can compare the Roland Cubes with the Super Champ XD? I have a Cube 30 and it's pretty good for a grab and go combo for low volume jams and my jazz jams...but haven't had a chance to play the Super Champ XD yet and it's got my interest.

2. monkmiles

3. jefrobie

jefrobie Supporting Member

I can't weigh in on Roland, but I do have a Super Champ & it's a pretty fabulous amp. My main amp is a Genz Benz Black Pearl setting on a smith sound enhancer & I'll say that for clean tones the little champ gives me all the chime and growl I want. Just read a review w/soundclips of a guy that did some upgraded speaker swaps for grins and ultimately the stock speaker was a fan fav!

4. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

The Cubes sound surprisingly great by themselves (especially given their small size, light weight and price), but once you A/B them directly with a good tube amp, you go..."Oh." The SCXD has a lot more warmth, BF sizzle and chime, harmonic richness and a bit more picking dynamics, though the Cubes have quite good picking dynamics for solid state, especially that Dynamic Channel or whatever they call it. I've owned a Cube 30 and 60 for many years, and now an SCXD with an RC. And I ain't goin back.

5. monkmiles

Thanks for the info. Yea, I definitely understand the effect of tubes vs solid state, as I have an all tube Carvin nomad (which has tube driven reverb too). But from my research, the Super Champ XD's have tube power amps and a single 12ax7 tube which serves as a phase inverter and/or buffer between a digital preamp and the tube power amp. So I'm curious as to see how much a difference the tubes make in the Super Champ vs the Cubes.

Maybe a trip out to guitar center tomorrow or monday is called for so I can play one.

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

I don't think GC sell the Roland.
    I have a bunch of tube amps and two SS amps. I got them just to use around the house or for composing but the C60 is good enough to take out for jams with pals.
    I love the fact that it's on instantly when I want to try out some ideas - I often leave it on for days with zero effect.
    It also has the only Chorus I would record with! I don't like the Marshall sounds on it but for the price is unbeatable for: BF, Vox (way too much gain though) and the Roland 120.
    Frankly, if I had an amp that did 100 different ampsounds I know I would only use about 5 max.
    Trust this helps a little.

Best, Pete.

7. monkmiles

I have a Cube 30 already, so even if they don't sell them (which I thought they did since they do on their website) then I'll have the sound in my head.

8. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Take it with you and maybe your fav guitar too .