Can anyone compare the MIA Blues Pro and Abunai 2?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Jul 14, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Time for my next pedal purchase and I'm looking at picking up one of these. Can anyone describe them in relation to each other; similarities, differences? Thanks.

2. jamison162

3. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I've owned both (not at the same time). It's been a while since I played the blues pro, so this is from semi-distant memory:
    For me the blues pro excelled at medium gain leads but was a little too compressed for the types of rhythm drive I was after. It has a great lower mids push that gives a nice aggressive thump to single notes, octaves, and even power chords, but can get a tad mushed for more complex chords.

The Abunai 2 has great clarity even at higher gain settings. I liked it on the "marshall style" drive setting with gain around 11:00 the best, but it has great versatility with the 3 drive settings and it sounds good at all levels of the gain knob.

I'd have to recommend the abunai 2...I replaced it with a menatone blue collar, but I wonder whether I'll go back to it at some point. I don't feel the same way about the blues pro.

4. jamison162

The Blues Pro is long gone, just wasn't very "amp-like" or natural sounding to me. The BB Preamp was more convincing. But...the BB is gone too, finally. Man, I've had that little box almost 2 yrs now. Sad to see it go, but it was a love/hate relationship.

Now to try the Abunai II. Has anyone compared or replaced their BB Preamp with the Abunai? There's not a whole lot written about these around here, not as much as you would think anyways.

5. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

The Abunai 2 isn't a popular pedal here on TGP. There are a nice handfull of folks that have them, but there is generally very little interest in my products.

Check out www.hugeracksinc.com as many members there have the Abunai 2. Also checkout www.tonefreak.com/Artists.html to see all the people using my stuff... most have the Abunai 2. You can also check out the soundclips from Peter Thorn and others using the Abunai 2.

I have never tried the BB, so I can comment on a comparison.