1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone compare the ToneBone Hot British and Classic pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SgtThump, Dec 10, 2005.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I just picked up a used Hot British the other day and whoa! I think it sounds great into the clean channel on my Marshall DSL50/1960B rig! Very nice! I'm wondering how the Classic sounds in comparison to the Hot British. Can anyone compare them?

Chris

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've had both those pedals at one point and the TB classic will give you more of the Mesa Boogie vibe and can get very heavy if you need it but can also be used for very mild gain as well, more versatile than the HB.

Both are great pedals!

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

So do you mean that the Classic has more of a thick lower mid smooth type of tone? Does it have ALOT less distortion than the Hot British or just a little less?

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

to be VERY general:

Classic is good for classic rock type tones
    HB is good for 80s metal (Van Halen, Guns n Roses, Queen, Randy Rhoads, etc)

The HB is a very versatile pedal for HIGH GAIN sounds.
    The Classic doesn't really have a specialty but is still a great sounding pedal and can do low-high gain.

I use the HB and an OD pedal for lower gain sounds, and all my dirty needs are covered. And when I say dirty, I mean deviant

5. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks guys. Does the Classic work as a good overdrive or boost pedal into an already distorting amp as well or is it just mainly designed as a distortion pedal?

Chris

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Tonebones are best used in a clean amp! Thump you would be surprised at how much gain the classic still has, I've pulled off plenty of old school metal tunes!

7. axpro

axpro Member

+1 on gonig into a clean amp with them, as they are a fairly complex preamp, i find they don't sound all that great going into a distorted amp.

I ended up liking the hot british more, but I am more of a marshally guy when it comes to the high gain stuff.

Dave

8. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Same here, it all depends how they match the specific amp you're using guys. I've played Panama, Beautiful Girls,etc by Van Halen with my bands with the classic zillions of times and lots of Judas Priest, Nightranger, and that stuff, as well as loads of modern metal and rock.. It really doesn't have much less gain than the Hot British , but is voiced quite differently. It actually stacked really good with a few other pedals too , including Boss's, FD2's , TS's ,etc. All depends on which amp they're used with , which one's best

ERIC

9. quackattack

quackattack Member

I had both, only the Hot British remains.

HB is a great distorion pedal, also does British Blues well.

The Classic is, IMHO, mediocre overdrive/distortion. It is not very transparent and way too compressed.

10. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

sorry to hijack this thread but, chris that LP is my favorite axe. i just put some Voodoo 59's in, and man it sounds killer. i find myself playing the strats less and less. i told Dan '' damn dude, this strat has no sustain ''. he goes '' thats cause you play the LP all the time! '' lol :D

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

MOST EXCELLENT!!!! I'm very glad (and sad at the same time) to hear that! I ended up selling my LP Custom as well and now I'm jonesin for another LP. I couldn't even make it 3 months without wanting another one. Crap... Now I have to find some way to scrape up the funds for another one. :(

:)

Chris

12. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually just sold the Hot British after only owning it a couple of days. I had originally planned to use it for distortion in a rig I was putting together, but have since changed my mind. It sounded great, but I had no need for it. Just wanted to try it out.

Thanks again!

13. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i just loaded two new clips on my site using the tonebone classic with the mojave Peacemaker.

one is going after eric johnson's cliffs of dover sound with the amp very low volume, and the other is using a duncan EVH pickup for eddie's tones with the amp cranked up much hotter.

the classic is remarkably versatile, and both the mojave coyote and peacemaker sound KILLER with it.