Can anyone explain "Endorsements" on LinkedIn?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dB, Feb 26, 2015.

1. dB

dB Member

It's odd enough when someone from my industry that I hardly know or haven't spoken to/worked with in years endorses me for something, but when someone that knows nothing about what I do endorses me for a technical skill....wtf? Are they hoping for a reciprocal meaningless endorsement? Do endorsements actually mean something to people?

2. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

It's sort of like Candy Crush on Facebook.

Seriously, LinkedIn users are sometimes presented with the option of endorsing whether a connection (LinkedIn 'friend') has certain skills. Once endorsed, that user can choose to add those endorsements to their profile. Mostly it's BS because many of those people are unable to judge if you really possess those skills.

3. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

im playing that game just because im a big enough sucker to think that someone may actually shop for a candidate through linkedin.

just endorsing people i know to some degree though.

4. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

It's all automated by LinkedIn. I've asked people if they endorsed me and they said "no". I've had people endorse me that don't even work in my industry. It's just LinkedIn doing it.

5. morlll

morlll Member

It's ******** for the most part.

6. dB

dB Member

I was wondering if that might be the case.

7. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I like LinkedIn for what it is, but the endorsement part is essentially meaningless.

Peace,

8. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

They may or may not 'shop' on LinedIn, but they definitely check out candidates' profiels.

9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Some companies definitely recruit on LinkedIn. I've had several inquiries over the years through people who only knew me through my profile. I've also heard some people say that when a person has no presence on LinkedIn (or any social media) it looks odd and can be a strike against them. I'm not suggesting that's right (it's not), but it's something to keep in mind for people in certain fields.

Peace,

10. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

I often wonder about the guy's who ask silly questions about LinkedIn or whether it is even worth it to be on it. I mean how old are you, do you still live in the 80's? Wtf? Get on with the program.

11. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

I have recruiters contacting me all the to me on linkedin. I've even had a few companies contact me about job offers? my endorsements come from people im connected to and know. I don't think its all bs. and employers do look at LinkedIn profiles, it can be a factor in the job hunt. its worth it for free. for what I do, I need to have a resume, a portfolio website, a blog, and a linkedin profile to even be considered. plus I use behance, about.me, twitter, facebook, a few others. it may seem pointless, but these days it all counts.

12. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

I was recently contacted about a job with Facebook through Linkedin. Pretty sure Google as well in the past. But mostly bottom feeding consulting middle men. Seems it's treated just like having a resume posted on line.

As for endorsements, this page has some great bizspeak about 'building your professional brand and engaging your network' - https://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31888/~/skill-endorsements---overview

13. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Could it be that the person who endorsed you has no idea that they did?

I ask because there are a couple of people who I constantly get linkedIn e-mails from and they insist they didn't send them. I'm not on it (though I have younger peers who tell me it might be worth it to join) but a little sleuthing found that is a known problem. Apparently if you aren't careful in how you use LinkedIn you can punch a sequence of choices that inadvertently sends something like a friend request to everyone on your e-mail contact list. Whether they are on LinkedIn or not.

One of the people doing this to me took me advice and fixed it. The other one I finally had to block as she insisted she wasn't doing anything but the e-mails kept coming.

14. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

As far as i can tell.. Linkedin is a computer virus

15. mikeowen17

mikeowen17 Supporting Member

If I remember correctly, I sometimes get emails asking if I would endorse certain connections for certain skills - the email usually has about 5 of your connections (randomly selected) with a randomly selected skill from their profile next to each (eg - would you endorse John Smith for Marketing - in this case I would be connected to John, and he would have identified himself in his profile as having Marketing as a skill - but linkedin chose that specific skill and offered me to endorse him for it).

If you click a link in the email it will show you as having endorsed the 5 connections for the specific skilld that linkedin chose.

I think it's all a case of Linkedin trying to build 'endorsements' as a must have item on your profile to make you more desirable to recruiters/employers/whoever else.

....seems kinda pointless to me!

16. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

Ha ha, that sounds about right:aok

17. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

I discourage anyone from clicking on an email from "LinkedIn". I periodically get connection requests from people I know via a "LinkedIn" email. I never click on the email but I go to a browser and log in to my LinkedIn account. Surprise, surprise, there is no request from that person anywhere. I don't know how I get these emails, but they are not from LinkedIn.

18. Betos

Betos Member

LinkedIn serves it's purpose of allowing you to present yourself to potential employers. I've used it as a resource, and know others who have as well.

The endorsements, even if used and working correctly, are just a ploy by LinkedIn to drive traffic to their site. The more unique visitors per day, the number of pages they view, and the time they spend on the site are all factors that translate into $$$ for the company.