Can anyone help identify a mystery amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scottlr, Jan 20, 2008.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

I don't have a picture, just what I can recall. It was 1970, and this one guitarist in my home town had this new odd amp. It had a head and cab. The cab was really deep, like a bass cab, and the head (and possibly even the cab) lit up like a Christmas tree. The control panel had several different colored lit controls, like a car dashboard. For some reason all these years I thought he had told me it was a Les Paul amp, but I have never found anything by searching. I'd also guess it was a SS amp. I seem to recall it had a lot of built in effects for the day. I've never seen another like it used by anyone else. I'd probably recognize it if I saw a picture.

2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

that might have been a CT amp

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

4. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Something like this?

[​IMG]
    This is a Gibson SG amp from the early 70's. They made a head cab version too. This was the first thing I thought about when I read your post.

Jeff

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

No, I remember those SG amps. This one didn't have the edging on it. It was plain tolex like a Fender, but I don't recall corners or not. It looked like something out of Star Trek (the original) and sort of cheap looking, to me. The whole face of it was plexiglass, painted black from behind, with clear areas fro the various orange, yellow, green and maybe red lit up stuff to show through.

What is a CT amp? I googled it and found nothing.

6. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Standel did an amp like that. So did a few Japanese companies.

7. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Sho-Bud "Christmas tree" amp? From about that time, meant for pedal steel. I don't recall who made them for Sho-Bud. Just a wild guess!

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

I'd remember if it was a Standel or Sho-Bud. IT was fairly big, so the cab probably had at least a pair of 12s if not 15s, probably 4 feet tall with the head. For some reason my mind keeps thinking this amp was somehow connected to Gibson/Norlin. But damn there's been a lot of lost info since then ;) My guess is this amp was a huge failure, because I never saw one before or since. Well, there might have been another at the local shop. This guy worked at the shop and they might have had 2 of them, one of which he bought.

9. Structo

Structo Member

Ampeg Portaflex had a front panel like that.
    It was basically like a Printed Circuit Board that was etched and where the metal was gone glowed a kind of soft greenish blue.

10. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, and didn't the related Oliver amp have a similar look?

11. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Gibson/Norlin bought Standel, hence the SG name on the picture above. THey did also do an amp like you are describing, but I haven't been able to find a picture of one yet.