can anyone help me fix my strat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by vendorist, Oct 11, 2008.

1. vendorist

vendorist Member

I'm currently using an mij strat ('57 reissue) equipped with texas special pups. The volume pot is 250k while the two tone pots are 500k.
    The problem is that
    1)the bridge pup sounded too twangy for my taste and too trebly.

2)when I roll down the volume to 7 or 8 in every pups position, it will sounded muddy and too much treble will be lost.

Does anyone has any suggestion on how to fix these two problems?

should I change both my tone pots to 250k?

2. K-man

K-man Member

The tone pots should be 250k, but that won't really help your problems.

1) Disconnect the tone pot from the middle pickup and connect it to the bridge pickup instead. Essential mod for a strat. The in between positions will sound better too.

2) You need a treble by-pass circuit installed on the volume pot. There are numerous threads on the subject and unfortunately it is a trial and error process to find the right value. I suggest trying out Kinman's values first (capacitor and resistor in series). They are more subtle than some of the others and won't change the taper of the pot.

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Agree with K-man but first, try a lot of different height positions for those Texas Specials. They have a well deserved reputation for being extremely height sensitive. Some pickups change, some more and and some less, as you raise and lower them. Texas Specials change a lot, and there will be one tiny sweet spot and you gotta find it.

4. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I think they used the 500k's on the tone on your guitar to give a little more treble response to the Texas Specials. A lot of people have noticed that those pickups are a little dull sounding with 250k's all around, and use 500k's to brighten them up.

Al

5. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Supporting Member

Put a base plate on the bridge pickup and keep em' all turned up to 10.!

6. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

um,tone control,from the middle to the treble,is a sound idea.Lower the pickups as well.Go back to 250K pots,as well that should provide a cure.