Can anyone help me with my Marshall JCM 800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ryanformato, Sep 30, 2006.

1. ryanformato

ryanformato Member

I've posted around on this forum a bit but have a question about my marshall jcm 800 2205 amp. First off, it gives a beautiful clean and crunch sound. I want to add in a modern lead sound (nice sustain and plenty of gain).

The problem is if I jack up the gain on the marshall, I lose the crunch sound. So, my thought was to get a pedal. I tried out the Boss DS-1 and the YJM 308 but neither has succeeded in getting the sound I am looking for.

Am I just not dialing in the right settings, am I picking the wrong pedals, or am I picking the wrong amp?

Thanks for the help.
    Ryan

2. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I use a bumbox bust that adds a fair amount of gain without sacrificing my original tone.

Maybe a simple clean boost would work.

3. murkat

murkat I like sea otters

TS-9 and clones of

4. vinceman

vinceman Member

To push a crunch sound, I often use a Boss GE7, and it is an amazing and transparent boost. I had to try it that way to believe how good it sounds.
    For a transparent OD, I also use a BD2 (Monte Allum H2O mod). It works also really well.

5. clunk

clunk Member

It's hard to recommend a good pedal as it all depends on your own taste and play style. 800's have always been my main amp. i've played alot of diverse styles through this amp and have used alot of various OD's and distortions from a ts-808, fulldrive, various boss OD's and distortions to ADA preamps.
    Personally ive found that this amp takes almost all OD and distortion pedals well. All depends on the sounds your going for.

Clunk

6. monkeyland

monkeyland Member

i've used a boss sd-1 for many years with my 2204 with great results. so have many other people.

just because its cheap doesn't mean its no good

7. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Xotic BB or Timmy. Both work very well with this kind of amp.

8. JWR

JWR Member

I would recommend a Tube Screamer. Preferrably a Keeley or Analogman. I think they've both done a great job with their mods. Then run the Tube Screamer volume very hot and the distortion very low, that will give a nice voltage boost.

9. ryanformato

ryanformato Member

I am looking for 3 main sounds.

I love my clean so that is fine. I love my crunch for punk so that is great. I am missing my Steve Vai type of searing lead sound.

Any further recommendations with this knowledge? Thanks. Since the amp is only 2 channels....I am leaving the gain on like 6 to get the crunch sound I like. When I hit the additional distortion/overdrive pedal, it doesn't increase the gain/sustain needed to do those Vai/Satriani/shred types of licks. It has nothing to do with my playing by the way ;)

10. el34power

el34power Member

Right now i use a Keeley BD-2 for leads with the 2203

11. gulliver

gulliver Member

I have a 2205 (although, modded by Voodoo), and I know what you mean. First off, I run it pretty loud and use a Hotplate, the MV is set at 5, presence at 7.

I run the clean channel on 5 with the treble on 5 and bass on 7. Like this, it's very poppy sounding on it's own, almost unusable with the guitar fully up, but sounds amazing with a good pedal. Right now, I'm using a Carl Martin PlexiTone with my PRS for a nice raspy crunch. On the cheap, the SD-1 and Jackhammer are okay but more grindy than raspy (I sold both). Other pedals with my strat give me a totally different liquid like tone.

The lead channel has clipping diodes and is very different, I think it's best suited for a more modern tone well past crunch. I used to run the volume on 5 and distortion on 7.5 and use a pedal to get me over the top, but now I dial out some of the mids (4) and add bass (7) and treble (7), and I can get a very scooped modern sound without a pedal, with the distortion on or around 10. YMMV, though, as Voodoo has installed a 2nd bass control on the back, which I set at 5.

The problem with the above is that is leaves you without a real clean channel. Backing down on the guitar cleans it up, but it's not great. Too bad they don't make an attenuator with a bypass switch.

Final note (HHHHUHHH ... sorry so long), speakers matter. I have V30s and feel they are more modern sounding than others I've heard.

12. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Hmm. A vai sound. I donm't relaly listen to that type of music, but I guess a clean boost isn't going to give you sustain and that tone.

My hotcake worked well through an already overdriven jcm800. I also liked a tubescreamer, fulldrive, and gristle king I tried.

13. ryanformato

ryanformato Member

I thought of a new idea that I will try later today. I can possible leave the clean as clean, use a pedal for crunch and then switch channels on the marshall with the gain all the way up for the shred sound. I don't know if it will work but I can only hope. If this don't work, I may be out of options on what to do.

14. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

15. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Vai is using an Analogman DS-1 (switched from Keeley) and a Keeley ts9d xflexi 4x2.
    The Keeley DS-1 ultra sounds great knocking my 2204 over the top. You might also want to look at a MI Audio Tubezone for modern higain tones.

16. ryanformato

ryanformato Member

I've tried many suggestions, but still have not solved my problem. I went to guitar center today and tried the Mesa Triple Rectifier and the Marshall TSL which were both superior...

17. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

for that creamy sustainy lead tone, try an old marshall guv'nor or a menatone TBIAC - both sound great through marshalls, at least to my ear.

18. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Check out the Fuchs website, this may be all you need. Frost - 100

19. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I owned an 800 for years. The Marshall Shredmaster pedal is amazing with that amp. They are getting a little pricey now, but you should try one.

20. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

I just sold one of these. Great amps. The answer is to never use the clean channel, crank the channel volume and gain and throw the master to 3-4. Sorry, that amp is a one trick pony. If you want channel switching, the XTC is your only choice in a Marshall sound.