can anyone help me with my mix?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by nosignal, Jan 21, 2008.

1. nosignal

nosignal Member

Hi everyone, i recently recorded a song i came up with, and i was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on my mix. I did the recording relatively fast, i used two mics on the guitar, a shure pg condenser near the neck and an sm 58 near the soundhole. I recorded bass directly into my firepod, and i recorded the drums with a shure pg drum mic package, with a kick mic, toms, snare and two overhead mics. I'm just looking for some pointers for things to improve on, i enjoy recording and im getting better at it. the playing is pretty sloppy in some parts. right now its just instrumental because i can't seem to come up with any good lyrics, my plan is to record them using a talkbox, should be good fun.

its just called "untitled"
    the song should be up on www.soundclick.com/ericmerrow or you can go to www.myspace.com/ericmerrow

thanks you to anyone who gives me feedback, i really appriciate other peoples input.

2. gregorb

gregorb Active Member

Hey,

nice recording. Do you use any recording software? If so I would like to know what kind.

Thank you and God bless

3. nosignal

nosignal Member

i use the le version of cubase, and i really only use the eq on it and another graphic eq plugin i found, maybe some reverb once in a while. but only eq was used on this recording

4. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

is this a mono recording/mix?

5. nosignal

nosignal Member

yeah i haven't done any panning yet, totally forgot to

6. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

thought so, there is a phenomena that happens when you hit the stereo buss hard and it is all mono, where you get a certain compression effect. It is not to my taste but each person hears differently, by panning not only do you get more definition, instrument to instrument, but you also get a better sense of how to treat each instrument. I like the drums, although I would put a small room/verb on at least the snare to open up the drums, the guitar is interesting, is it an electo-acoustic? I ask because it has that sound. Personally I prefer mics like the inexpensive oktava mk12 for acoustic or the berliners. Try moving the condenser to the sound hole for more clarity. A 57 or 58 tends to be better on things that displace more SPL, sound pressure level, again a matter of taste. keep the bass TDC and shelf out 40hz and down. Just a few suggestions....Keep going!! A great start!!;)

7. nosignal

nosignal Member

thanks a bunch. yeah my acoustic is electric, though i didnt use the input. i tried to get a bunch of body with the 58 and a bunch of top end with the condenser when i recorded the guitar, ill giver another try. thanks a bunch!

8. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

No problem! Actually reversing the mic positions might get you that. Remember that there are more overtones as you move closer to the bridge, hence the brighter sound as you pick closer to the bridge and darker towards the neck. I have always told the mixers that I trained that mixing and recording is an iterative experience. In other words you do it over and over and learn something new each time.

9. dave s

dave s Member

Disclaimer: I don't read the other responses prior to listening, so if I'm repeating others ....

Balance on the mix is pretty good in most parts. Nearer the end (after 3:45 or so) the drums kind of take over. At first, I thought the acoustic was coming out of the R channel, but the more I listened, sounds like everything is mono?

The overall mix might benefit from some top-end 'shine' on everything. Sounds a bit 'dull' to my ears. I like 'snappy' guitars/drums/cymbals with pop-style type songs.

Also, you probably have vocals in mind? When they come along, sometimes the entire instrument/music will see adjustments to accommodate the vocal tracks.

Definitely post your next version!

dave

10. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

The snare could be compressed a bit to "level" it out. Seems to vary quite a bit during the song. IMO of course!

11. nosignal

nosignal Member

i did a bit of eq to the guitars, i brought the high end up quite a bit and i added my vocals/synth lines and panned the guitar tracks left and right.

the new version is up at www.myspace.com/ericmerrow and www.soundclick.com/ericmerrow

thanks for the feedback everyone! keep it coming please

12. jmcloud

jmcloud Member

Just a quick thought, when I listened to the new mix, the acoustic guitar seemed to jump out of the mix.

One thing that helps me get good balance in my mix is using different speakers at different volume levels. Whether I'm listening back through my near-field monitors, my surround sound system, cheap computer speakers, headphones (all of which I use as a reference to see how a track would sound through each), I listen once at a normal volume, once at a very soft volume, and once with it cranked a little.

It surprises me how much a mix can seem to shift at a different volume level.

Keep up the good work, with some experience you're onto something.

13. elambo

elambo Member

I've never experienced this before. Other than analog tape, which he's not using, what would cause the compression to a mono-only signal? Different than stereo?

And what does TDC mean?