1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone help with this question?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hello Guys/Gals,

I have a couple days of so I'm taking advatage of the time to learn a few things from you folks.
    I have always wanted to ask this one, but excuse me if it is simplistic.
    How do you achieve usable feedback? Do you use certain settings on your amp or effects pedals?
    Do you have to have your amp dimed and do you have to stand right next to it?
    Is there a way to get useable feedback at lower volumes, because man, would I love to impliment that into my playing.
    I play alot of Hendrix and as you can see, I would die to know how to do that for obvious reasons.

My gear: Strat (shielded well) w/ CS 69's into a Marshall 1959 SLP RI.
    Effects are:
    Fasel wah
    Fulltone '69
    Baja Tech Das Fuzz SI
    VL Microvibe
    VS J&H
    VS H20
    Knowing my gear,would someone please help me learn how to do this?:jo
    Thanks in advance.
    Takecare, best regards and have a great 4th.,
    Mass

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Turn up your amp and experiment by standing in different spots near the amp. Also helps to have the pickups facing the amp speakers. Amp doesn't need to necessarilly be cranked to 10, but does need to be turned up a bit.

3. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I can't comment on your rig but I have a lot of luck when I stack an OD with a pronounced midrange with the Hot British I have. I can pretty much get any note to feedback at a higher frequency.

Not exactly Star Spangled Banner style feedback though.....

Bob

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hey, this is great.
    I really appreciate all of the help.
    keep it comming if you can.
    I thought I shielded my guitars to well.
    So some volume is an issue.
    Thanks,
    Mass

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Walco Chord & Note Sustainer causes sustained notes to feed back on themselves. It's not boutique by any means, but is good for a couple of tricks. It's not exactly like walking up to a cranked amp with the guitar, but if you use a high gain sound and kick that in, you should get something. Also try replacing your guitar's pickups with really crappy unshielded or microphonic ones, that might help you get more feedback...

You might also enjoy a delay with a feedback control, you can get lots of crazy sounds when you turn that up, but you should possibly be prepared to turn it back down so your rig doesn't explode, that's how I got the "motorcycle revving" sounds on the track "Mad Analog Synth Guitar" on http://www.myspace.com/stephenpolcz ... But a traditional guitar feedback sound, you're probably best cranking amp and gain and walking close to the amp, letting a note ring out uncontrollably, then when it starts, you kind of coax it back under control.

Another option is an eBow. It won't help on chords, but has a normal and harmonic setting, the latter of which really does sound like traditional feedback, only cleaner because you are actually in control of the eBow (well, not at first, but you get the hang of it).

6. sinner

sinner Member

I get some useable controlled feedback (and at very low bedroom levels) using a couple stacked pedals (Zendrive--Timmy--Keeley TS808) with the Timmy's treble up real high.

7. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

Definitely where you stand makes all the difference. In fact some artists find all the sweet spots for feedback during soundcheck & even mark those areas with tape so they know wher to stand.
    Gear of course helps too. A guitar that has a greater density like a Paul is easier to get feedback from but if you've got a great OD pedal & your amps on 11, a stat can howl just as much.
    Good controlled feedback is an artform.

8. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thank you once and again!
    I am trying to achieve the feedback in the mannner mudslide was reffereing to...at bedroom levels, as I don't gig at loud volumes.
    I am trying right now to obtain a good OD. I use alot of fuzzes.
    The only OD I have is the VS Jeckyll & Hyde, and I'm not sure if that one is considered a good one or not.
    I shielded the heck out of my strat so that may not help.
    I'm learning more and more here though.
    Take care,
    Mass

9. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

At bedroom volumes, you can definitely get it going with 2 OD's, or a compressor and an OD. I do it at home by keeping the amp volume as low as I need to (time of day, whatever), and cranking the volume on the pedals to hit the amp hard. I can use very little gain and still get beautiful swells. Compressor-wise (if you want one), the Barber Tone Press can't be beat. Sustain, feedback swells, fattens your tone, it doesn't mess up your attack, and it's cheaper than the others.

10. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I don't have a compressor, but I am going to try that using a OD and GE or SI fuzz dimed out.
    I hope it works, and thanks for the advice.
    To me it is so fullfilling to learn all the melodies, rythms and solos of Hendrix (my mentor), I can't imagine how fun it would be to start learning the feedback parts as well.
    Take a simple song like Wild Thing (Monterey).
    The way he works the feedback is the critical componet to that version.
    I'll give it a try, and let you know.
    Best regards,
    Mass