Can Anyone I. D. a Drive-By Truckers' guitar?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by urizen, Jan 14, 2008.

1. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

Saw an ad/pic for Brighter Than Creation's Dark, the upcoming new CD (on the back of the latest issue of No Depression) that showed one of the players on something that LOOKS cool, like sort of a cross 'twixt a Tele and a Koll Glide., but I can't see the headstock clearly or get any clue as to what/who the maker is. Anybody know of whence I query, query I?

It's a b.& w. foto showing a plank that looks like it's Tele-thin in depth w/ a humber at the neck, but the player's hand is obscuring what's at the bridge. It's sunburst, bound, lower horn looks vaguely Explorer-ish in shape, and the blackguard follows the contour of the horn, but is otherwise Tele-ish. It has the standard Tele 2 controls switch plate and jack location, 6 in-line tuners (from what I can see), and the logo on the headstock APPEARS to begin w/ a Z.

Knowledge, notions, clues, idees y'all?

2. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

Hmmmm. I'm curious too.
    Both times I've seen them,
    it was Les Paul's all the way.

Really amazing shows. They played 3+ hours
    & went through at least 5 bottles of Jack. :dude

3. jz63

jz63 Member

4. urizen

There it is (!), far right, although still not a good, clear pic:
    http://www.baxendaleguitars.com/guitars/complete/dbt/img/7.jpg

If you scroll down at the Baxendale site, in the "Drive-By Truckers Guitars" section of the "Instruments" category, there's a video of Cooley playing THAT Baxendale electric in performance on "Where the Devil Don't Stay". Wish I could hear/see more. Perhaps at the band's website.

Thank you very much. This is a maker of whom I was totally unaware, and, as I said earlier, from what I can see, it looks like a cool design (and I like the Trucker's sound, so...).

Thanx again, much appreciated.

5. c-dub

c-dub Gold Supporting Member

My current fav for a few years now. I highly recommend their live shows, they'll wear you out. I'm just sorry Isbell left.

6. jz63

jz63 Member

Glad to help! I talked to Scott a few years back and he's a heck of a nice guy.

7. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

That makes two of us. I'm interested to see how the new album turns out since I have mostly preferred the Isbell songs on the last few.

8. urizen

I haven't heard anything from the new CD yet, but I wanna. I came late to their party, but got hooked and bought up all the catalogue (up to thus far).

9. airjamie

airjamie Member

If you godown a little there a heading for the "Johnny Depp Guitar" Which looks to be exactly the same as the truckers guitar:

[​IMG]

10. urizen

I think the Depp needs the blackguard on it (or it shows, to me, that the design's appearance is balanced/improved by the addition of the blackguard, especially over the top of the lower horn)... and a maple neck.

11. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

There's at least one classic Cooley track ("Self-Destructive Zones"), and Shonna contributes a few, the best of which is like nothing I'd ever go to the Truckers for, but wonderful ("The Purgatory Line").

12. c-dub

I preordered it. I prefer Cooley's stuff myself, but the three of them live (with Isbell) were awesome. Glad I saw the New Year's 2007 show in ATL for one last time when Isbell was still in.

13. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I didn't realize there was so much DBT love around here. My buddy Adam used to be a sort of 'go-to' photo guy for them and we've got some amazing shots in our house. I don't mean to hi-jack the thread here, but there's some awesome shots on his site here:
    http://adamsmithphotography.com/flash_site/adamsmith.html
    click the 'live rock' tab
    There's quite a few shots of Cooley playing that guitar.
    Cheers.

14. zion

zion Member

My favorite band, hoping to catch them in Salt Lake soon! The best combination of song-writing, tones, and live shows out there. Carrying on the Rock-n-Roll torch for sure!

15. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

16. c-dub

Yep, in the "albums that are good all the way through" I pretty much listed every DBT album from Southern Rock Opera on.

I've photo shot DBT a few times, once in Columbia, SC, once in Asheville, NC, and once in Atlanta. I'll try to upload a few.

17. airjamie

airjamie Member

Most recent asheville show? I was definately there, too bad it was at the orange peel...

18. c-dub

Ever since I quit smoking I love the peel. Dont know if it was the most recent one, it was in Feb 2006; my then-pregnant wife got the tix and drove that night as a Val Day present. You might have saw me there, I was the guy drinking lots of beer.

You know, the one on the left.

Listening to the new Brighter than Creations Dark right now as I babysit on the wife's night out. Mike just sang, re: the death of hair metal, "Til the pawnshops were packed like a backstage party hanging full of pointy ugly guitars"