Can anyone identify these 1985 Fender Japan pickups?

standard24

These are exactly like the ones in my recent Contemporary Strat purchase. Usually, the MIJ come with pickups with a thin, bar magnet glued to the bottom of the bobbin. These seem to be more like the current American Standard type. They don't really sound very good... Kinda brittle sounding. Are these alnico, or do/did they also make ceramic magnet pole pieces?

Any clues?

standard24

I think I found the answer in "The History of Fender MIJ Stratocasters"....

"The pickups used in the Contemporary models were manufactured by Fujigen. All the pickups used on the Contemporary models are Alnico and not ceramic pickups."

I'm going to lower the pickups to see if they might sweeten up a bit. I must say... My first impression of them is YUCK!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Individual round polepieces with no bottom bar always means alnico.

+1 to the MIJ pickups not being that impressive, all the electronics in these need to go, from the pots to the switch to the wire itself. The guts are just not as good as the physical guitar is.

swiveltung

I found the MIJ pickups to just be examples of very clean typical fender pickups. The ones I have/had were low resistance readings compare with the hotter pickups I tend to like. Mine were '85 also.

Trending Topics