Can anyone lend me their opinion? Rickenbacker/Gibson/Manson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JJC44, Feb 27, 2012.

1. JJC44

JJC44 Member

Hi TGP!

First post! =]
    So I'm looking to buy a new electric with money that I have saved up - I've got £1000-1200 to spend on the guitar. I'm really stuck for choice. I've pretty much figured out my amp n pedal set up but I just need some advice from someone with experience for the final decision on the axe.

I want to get thick warm fuzz sounds from the guitar (a la Black Keys & early White Stripes) but also some slightly heavier Muse/Silversun Pickups/Smashing Pumpkins-esq fuzzy-chaos. I know looks are less important than sound and feel but I want something that will standout a bit 'cus every player and their dog has a Strat/Tele/Les Paul.
    So basically, what do you guys reckon from the following:

Rickenbacker 620 (I realise I wont be playing traditional Ric stuff but I think it's probably the best looking guitar ever)
    Gibson Firebird Studio Non-Reverse
    Manson MA2
    or maybe a Gretsch Jet Duo w/Bigsby

Any advice at all would be much appreciated!

2. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

Welcome to the forum.

I like the Ric 620. real nice guitars. You might want to check out the Ric 330 also, they are really nice. I bought one a couple of years ago and I am really liking it.

I had a 620 a few years ago but it really was'nt my thing, more of a LP guy i guess,
    the 620's are nice though.

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

We all know Gretsch, Ric, Gibson, all great and iconic, but Manson is a new one on me. Please enlighten.

4. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

From the music you described, I'd go with the Manson or the Firebird

5. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

I'm not feeling the Ric with heavy distortion, may be OK. It takes a special person to like those. The string spacing, narrow neck and bridge cover kills me to play for extended periods.

Firebirds are tough to travel with and are murderous to tune, again takes a special person to hand one. They are quite large in length. I used to have one.

Not familiar with the Manson either but the name is cool.lol

Dou Jets IMO are great for what you described if you can keep the pickups from squeeking under heavy dist. It can be done though.

As far as standing out ...there are tons of makers out there with fairly good quality axes that stand out from the crowd. You could easily grab a PRS (or similar) in your price range and be much more user friendly than your above choices and have the oddity you are looking for.

There is a reason why strats, teles and Les Pauls are so common. I love a good Eko, Silvertone or Davoli though.

6. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I'd say the 620 or a PRS Korina Mira. A very versatile guitar. The pickups split fabulously & mine weighs just over 6 pounds!

Tony

7. JJC44

JJC44 Member

Cheers guys! Its good to have an opinion from someone who has owned these guitars. Great help.

@AeeCee & sixtringslut
    Manson is a relatively small (but highly respected) guitar luthier from south west England who has designed/made gear for John Paul Jones and Matt Bellamy (Muse guitarist). They are supposed to be very good guitars and I figure if its a semi-Muse sound im after why not get what is essentially the slightly cheaper version of Matt Bellamy's guitar.
    http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/ma-2-404699/review
    http://www.mansons.co.uk/shopping/categories/manson-electric-guitars/manson/ma2-electric-guitar/
    http://www.mansons.co.uk/shopping/c...cial-ltd-devon-clotted-cream-electric-guitar/

8. choucas09

choucas09 Member

If I were in your position I'd be most interested in the Manson. The reviews are very good and you'd have a real talking point guitar. The pickups give interesting options, you get a compound radius, the build quality is apparently very good and it looks cool too.

9. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

The Manson brothers, Hugh and Andy, have built instruments for the likes of John Paul Jones (Zep), Steve Howe, Martin Barre (Jethro Tull) and many, many others. Hugh's Telecasters are awesome instruments and Andy specializes in acoustic instruments. It helps that their shop is in my town, and I both buy and get my guitars set up by their awesome technician, Tim.

(Apologies to jjc-I didn't read your post)

10. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I'd say The Manson is definitely the one from the ones you list, and probably the most versatile too. (The 'reverse' Firebird Studios are lovely, but unwieldly. The Gretsch is less versatile, the Ric idiosyncratic.) A couple of other makes you might want to stir in to the pot: Magneto (the T-Wave version with CC pickups is a glorious guitar); Blade (the Durango and the Dayton are neglected guitars). A second-hand Eggle New York Broadway might float your boat too - I have one, and am surprised by how versatile it is. (Although change the pots for lower values: stock, the guitar is way too bright - it may have tappable humbuckers in mahogany, but the body is pretty small.)

The grunngier end might also work with one of the Eastwood Airlines, or a Hofner Club? Guild Ambassador, maybe? Although hats off to you for thinking of putting the money in the direction of a small British builder.

11. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Mmm, nice. I had an early New York Standard which I bought new. I agree that it's a bright-sounding guitar but very pretty.

12. deadllama

deadllama Member

I play really bluesy, fuzzy stuff on a Ric 620 through an AC15. It sounds great. I think my SG Classic sounds a little better through a really dirty AC -- something about the mahogany/P90 combination gives it a little more compression than the more dynamic Ric pickups -- so if you're always going to be playing super-dirty, I'd go with the Firebird.

That said, my 620 is (1) beautiful and (2) capable of some awesome, awesome tones, especially on the middle switch setting by working the blend knob. I think the Firebird will better give you the tone you're looking for, but the 620 will give you tones you can't get any other way. As for the narrow neck, it's not that narrow, although it does take a while to get used to. You'll probably end up taking off the bridge cover. I know I did.

Plus, the build quality on the Ric will probably be flawless. Get one in Fireglo! Here's the picture of mine from Dave's Guitar before I bought it:
    [​IMG]

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Thanks SS. Just took a look at them. Very fine looking instruments indeed. Just what I need......another brand to lust after. :messedup

14. JJC44

JJC44 Member

Cheers deadllama. That is exactly the one im after!! Fire-glo ftw! Do you know if the Ric pick ups have a lower output? I've heard that this can be an issue when running it through some pedals (e.g. Fuzz Factory). Also do you reckon it would be worth asking the factory to fit a Humbucker in the bridge position? The real issue is I havent seen any guitar stores in the UK that have 620s in stock so I cant try before I buy :(

15. telecasting

telecasting Member

Have you considered JJ or Martyn Booth guitars, both of which are Uk made?