Can anyone recommend a good headset?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by feloniuspunk, Aug 20, 2005.

1. feloniuspunk

feloniuspunk Member

I have an old cheap pair of headsets and they distort. It's very frustrating. Not looking to spend lots of money but certainly more than a 20 or 30 dollar set. I use them mostly for playing guitar late at night and using the headset jack on my amp.

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I use AKG 240's. They're not bad, and I wouldn't think twice about buying another pair if something happened to 'em. You could spend a lot more or a lot less depending on what sounds good to you, but the 240's are a nice set of cans IMHO :)

3. leond

leond Member

+1 AKG 240

Good sound, reasonably priced and and very comfortable. If anything happened to mine, I'd get another pair.

LeonD

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Grado makes some world class headphones in a variety of price ranges, and all of them are good.

I have the AKG 240 and 270S, which are very good headphones that I use for tracking; for serious mixing or referencing, I use Grado's
    $600 high end model.

I honestly feel that Grado's $70 model is more accurate than the AKGs I own. Worth checking out.

Nothing wrong with the AKGs either. Just a personal preference.

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I usually use AKG K271s and like them very much. But for casual listening or where you don't need closed back phones, Grado is the way to go unless you're talking about $500+ phones, in which the Grado RS1 is still a strong contender. But the Senn 650 or AKG K1000 are also right up there.

Here's a pretty good place to see what's offered.
    http://www.headphone.com/

6. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

I got some Grado SR80's after getting some opinions from guys on here, especially Les, and couldn't be happier. Great headphones....

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Glad you like 'em!

(I'd feel like a real shmuck if you didn't! ) ;)