Can Anyone Recommend Instructional Dvd's?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by drift_boat, Jul 4, 2004.

1. drift_boat

drift_boat Member

How many of you folks go to dvd's for help in getting better? Which ones do you think helped you alot? I just got my feet wet with Greg Koch's take on SRV's style. Very entertaining and helpful dvd.

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I think Shawn Lane's video is incredibe (VHS) though it depends on what style of music you're interested in. If you're into blues, you'd probably not dig it.

Albert Lee's DVD is great too

3. drift_boat

drift_boat Member

Thanks jzucker, I'll look for that Albert Lee one on dvd!

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I wish the REH stuff of his would be available on DVD. I just bought a video camera that is able to convert analog to digital (external signals) on the fly so if it works reliably I may pick up the REH tape again and convert to DVD...

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

I like using them as added impetus to practicing. Watching them fuels new ideas for me. I like Scott Henderson's quite a lot. I like John McLaughlin's DVDs too, but it's a different approach. Bergonzi's DVD is pretty good too.

6. anyone

anyone Member

Danny Gatton's video taught me a lot.
    Tuck Andress has a great video. Kind of falls into the entertainment category for me though... A lot of good info, but the water gets really deep really fast on that one!
    Eric Johnson's first video is extremely well rounded, covering ground from Chet - Stones - Hendrix - Beck - Clapton, and, of course, EJ himself.

7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

tomo fujita's "accelerate your guitar playing"

8. Kappy

Kappy Member

LMAO! It's about time you answered the thread!

9. gennation

gennation Member

I 100% recommend John Mclaughlin's DVD's. They're costly but you be using that info for music the rest of your life. It's the best I've seen and I've seen a lot.

10. anyone

anyone Member

Aw man! I'm glad I finally made you laugh! You're posts have been killin' me since I've been a lurker, and I've tried to work the wordplay angle before, but I didn't even see that one coming! Kinda sad not to be funny until trying to be serious...:rotflmao

11. Kappy

Kappy Member

Thanks man. I just couldn't resist laughing when I saw the thread that was started over 2 years ago finally got answered by the person who was being asked for recommendations in the title. ;)

12. anyone

anyone Member

I didn't even see the original date:jo
    So much for being helpful...:crazy

13. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Emily Remler's for Jazz
    Don Mock's for any blues/rock player trying to expand your horizons

Both of the above just to see some great playing.

+ Tomo's AYGP for, well, becoming a better guitarist

14. Brick

Brick Member

That's hysterical....

I can't recommend Doug Doppler's "Diatonic Theory & Harmony" highly enough. It's not about licks, it's about learning "Diatonic Theory & Harmony". He's such a great teacher and the lessons are well laid out.

รท

15. Tomo

Tomo Member

Off topic question. (SORRY!)

Which brand, model? I have tapes(Hi 8 tapes) and would like to convert dvd
    or make files in my Mac computer. I can make sound clips but not video clips yet.

Thanks,

Tomo

16. TiEsQue

TiEsQue Member

While I wouldn't exactly call it essential learning for beginners, Jerry Donahue's (Hellcasters) DVD is one of the coolest instructional vids I've ever seen. It has lots of those impossibly cool pedal steel licks. Great stuff.

Scott Henderson's vid on phrasing is a must have.

17. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

What in particular does Mclaughin cover on his DVD?
    In other words, what makes it better and/or different
    then many of the other instructional DVD's out there?

18. Kappy

Kappy Member

I'm trying not to skip ahead without doing the work, so I only know the first DVD. It starts out with him going over diatonic modes, learning them inside and out with every interval combination, and then he gives you rhythm-varied patters to use for them. It's extremely thorough, and those rhythmic variations are really tough to learn like they're 2nd nature. He also gives example solos (an "easy" one and a hard one) to analyze. It's not a course that tells you what to do, it's more like one that gives you the raw tools you need to make your own choices. It also assumes when he shows you one pattern for aeolian in asc & desc 6ths that you'll take the time to learn how to play _all_ the scales in asc & desc 6ths, that you'll figure out the fingering that works for you, etc. He doesn't waste time showing you each pattern for every mode in every key.

P.S. I paid full retail for mine, but about a week or two after I did (last x-mas) they went on a holiday sale and were like 20% off. So I coulda' saved $30 if I'd waited. Maybe they'll do it again this year.

19. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Surprised nobody has mentioned this... in the two years the thread has been around! :) But the best ones I've seen are:

#1- John Petrucci
    #2 - Eric Johnson (was mentioned)

If you get through Johns and can pull off his stuff, you are off the charts bad mofo.

20. countandduke

countandduke Member

Allan Holdsworth's REH is f'n incredible. +1 on the Shawn Lane, +1 on the Scott Henderson, Joe Beck's chord video is pretty amazing. Love Joe Pass, Pat Martino's are pretty scary. +1 on Tuck Andreas, +1 on Eric Johnson's LOVE his tone on the first one too bad he doesn't have that anymore. Al Dimeola's is actually pretty inspiring but he's a deadpan teacher still interesting though. Steve Morse' videos are actually pretty incredible too....

Chris

Chris