Can anyone tell me about the Cannabis Rex?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimlp, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jimlp

jimlp Member

I have a bright Marshall amp that I use with a 2X12 cab with vintage 30's and the sound can get grating even at low volume, I am looking to replace my speakers and have heard that the CR was a warmer, rounder speaker that could help me. Can anyone shed some light on the overall sound/tone of these speakers? Do they have mids or are they more scooped? Is it bass heavy or does it just have rolled back highs? Would anyone recommend something else? Thanks in advance for any replies I may receive.

2. Dave

Dave Member

The C-Rex has good low end, but it's not bass heavy. It's got strong lower mids and a smooth high end. Some people think it's a little dark, some don't. It's a nice speaker, but keep in mind that it's fairly clean, not a lot of breakup. It doesn't have that Celestion "sizzle".

Other recommendations: Celestion Heritage G12-65, Scumbacks, Mesa/Celestion MC-90.

Good luck.

3. fakeox

fakeox Member

you will be louder with a loud sp like the CR. Maybe you want 1X12

4. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Shameless plug: I've got a Weber G12-65 clone with an Alnico magnet and PreRola doping. This is THE speaker if you want to warm up an amp but keep a sweet, chimey top end. It isn't very efficient so as long as your amp is loud enough it is great, especially if you're into alnico... for sale...:)

The CRex is a great speaker too, very little if any breakup though. Not as dark as many claim, but it will warm up a bright amp, though at the expense of some chime and sparkle.

I think replacing the V30's with almost anything will help you get some warmer, less grating tone.

5. doc

doc Member

The C Rex is a very balanced speaker, not dark or muffled. The mids are not scooped but not prominent either. Its an American voiced speaker, so you will lose the British bite and "krang" - it doesn't do the Celestion thang. It is very smooth, with a slight prominence of the lower mids. The highs are there and not rolled off, but they are so smooth they SEEM a little less present compared to some speakers. I run mine with a Trainwreck clone and it sounds great. I'd say given your description of what you're looking for it would work very well for you. I'd say the Alnico Weber fast ricky described would also be an excellent choice, but more pricey. The Alnico will give you a nice breakup when pushed and "thicken up", the C Rex will become even more "liquid" and smooth at higher volumes with not much breakup. If you crave "bite" the C Rex isn't for you.

6. jimlp

jimlp Member

Thanks for the reponses, I am running a JVM into an Avatar 2X12 and I think the cab may be the problem but I have nothing to A/B it against. I just tried the 2 channel JVM head and I think I like that voicing better as it is a bit darker, not good news as I wanted to avoid the buy/sell routine. New head or new speakers, stop the ride I want to get off!

7. danipman

danipman Member

Have A CREX In anAvatar Open Back with a Hellatone 30. Personally find it a little boomy with a Bandmaster reverb. I preferred the 2 Hellatones. I am going to try to get a Celestion Gold in there.

I think a CREX would be great in a DRRI, but found the speaker a little boomy and maybe a tad "stiff"