Can anyone tell me if this is a dumble being used in this clip?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Desert Blues, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Desert Blues

Desert Blues Member

I've always loved this tone and it's one of my favourite ever tones (for me Ry is the greatest slide player anyway)- Ry Cooder's setup was pretty complex around this time with a Hi Watt power amp fed by silvertone amp and a ODS Dumble amp made for him in the chasiss of an old Ampeg head - to me this sounds like a Dumble on the OD channel - but I've heard alternatively it was the silvertone amp feeding into the Hiwatt slave amp - and that the Dumble was used as a kind of backup only. Were any TGP members at this show or saw Ry around this time know further details?

2. Wyatt Earp

Wyatt Earp Member

I can't say if that's a Dumble. If it is, I hope he didn't pay too much for it. That sound can be had from any number of amplifiers.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Desert Blues likes this.
  3. Desert Blues

Desert Blues Member

This is the Dumble he used (you can see it in the bckground)- hmmmm not sure I've heard that tone from other amps - any examples?

[​IMG]

4. DJ_61

DJ_61 Member

So you answer your own questions?

Desert Blues likes this.
  5. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I don't have an answer to your question, but dropped in to say that Ry Cooder's guitar tech (if he has one) has to have one of the most difficult jobs in the business. I've spent more time that I care to admit trying to research Ry's gear, and the information that is out there that I'm aware of only appears to be a small fraction of what he has going on.
    Ramon - good luck in your search, buddy

Desert Blues likes this.
  6. Coli

Coli Supporting Member

D Blues did state that he was wondering if the D was just a backup...

Desert Blues likes this.
  7. Desert Blues

Desert Blues Member

Thanks bro - yeah I can imagine it's going to be hard to find any answers!

8. Desert Blues

Desert Blues Member

lol - now I'm confused - which is not hard seeing as Im from Essex, England where we are not known for our intelligence!

9. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

Here's one of my favorite slide tones with just a Les Paul and a Fender Twin.

Desert Blues likes this.
  10. kimock

kimock Member

I wasn't at that show, that was the Catalyst in Santa Cruz, I was at the Cotati Cabaret shows, same band, same production, from load-in to load-out.
    The amp was a Supro Sportsman or possibly Statesman slaved into a what appeared to be a 200 watt Hiwatt power amp.
    He only used the Dumble on one tune the night I saw him, with the Mando guitar.
    Sounded just like Lindley!
    Distinctly different sound.

It's a pita to see on that vid because Flaco's standing in front of the Dumble and Jorge's blocking the Supro, but there's two seconds where you can see clearly the Supro's plugged in and the Dumble isn't.
    As good as the Santa Cruz videos are, Cooder's wasted that night, he played better in Cotati.
    Absolutely devastating.
    I came real close to quitting guitar after Cotati.
    Threw down my hat on the dance floor in awe and frustration and began drinking heavily.

Anyway, that's a great guitar sound drunk or sober and it's consistent enough to my ear throughout those recordings to say there's no Dumble on any of it. It's all Supro/Hiwatt.

If I can get amp-geeky for a minute, this is more typical of live bottleneck Strat thru a Dumble:

I know it's difficult to compare live mixes of different bands, but the Little Feat clip is a great example of how that era amp imaged and presented itself onstage.
    When it's in the mix, it's perfectly balanced and located, and when it's featured there's guitar everywhere.

That's not what's going on with the Cooder guitar sound, again amp-geeky, but the Cooder thing is way more consistent with lower gain, smaller OT, lower voltage, tube rectification, simpler "one hinge" EQ, less feedback, less refinement all around. Sag, bass out of control, smeared high end with less extension, grungier, more raw, clipped rather than compressed attack at lower gain, stuff like that.

You can't dial that behavior out of a Supro, that's what it is, and likewise, you can't dial that behavior into a Dumble.

11. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

jim keltner for president.

scmavl likes this.
  12. Desert Blues

Desert Blues Member

beautiful

13. Desert Blues

Desert Blues Member

Fantastic - you couldn't of answered the question in a more eloquent fashion! I'm totally convinvced now.- for years I thought it was a dumble but I stand corrected. Also I love your slide playing and your tone on the filmosound amp on the tinydesk concert made me go and get two filmosounds as my main touring amps now.

I was in dumbleland for many years until I heard your performance above now Ive changed my whole setup so I thank you!

14. Desert Blues

Desert Blues Member