Can anyone tell me more about this vintage martin?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ChmpgnSupernover, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ChmpgnSupernover

ChmpgnSupernover Member

I am wondering if anyone can tell me any information about this guitar pictured below, serial numbe[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]r: 11216

[​IMG]

I know absolutly nothing about this guitar and nothing about martins, but I am hoping someone can help me figure out exactly what this is and how much they sell for on a good day.

I can't provide any other information or pics, cause this is all I have.

Thanks for any help!
    [/FONT]

2. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

By the serial number, it's from 1911. Looks like maybe a 00-42 or 00-45. This will be braced for gut/nylon, which keeps it from the big leagues in price -- but it's still quite a guitar.

You can check gbase for comparable asking prices from dealers.

Condition, of course, is everything. Obviously the top cracks and separated bridge would need to be addressed, but there may be other issues -- bridge plate, braces, etc. Looks like a good chance it's had steel strings on it, which would have contributed to the damage. As long as it doesn't have bad repair attempts, it could probably be fixed up nicely.

You can get more info from the Martin forum: www.umgf.com.

3. ChmpgnSupernover

ChmpgnSupernover Member

4. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

You bet -- glad to help.

I took a quick look, and only found a couple semi-comparable Martins on Gbase:

This 1901 1-42 at Umanov's is at least a size or two smaller, which reduces the price quite a bit, though it's at a dealer who often prices things at double the going rate. It's also in very good condition.

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=816507

Then there's this 1920 0-45, which is also not exactly comparable. It's also braced for gut, but by 1920 many Martins can be played with steel strings, which make them more playable. Then there's the condition issue -- obviously better there.

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1791545

In any case, the one you've found could have a serious upside, especially if it sounds good. Would love to hear more!

5. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

6. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Supporting Member

Definitely go to the Martin forum (www.umgf.com) linked above and
    take as many pics as possible. There's a vintage section of the forum that will eat this up. They love this kind of thing:)

Beautiful guitar. I hope you bring it back to life.

7. ChmpgnSupernover

ChmpgnSupernover Member

If that was my guitar, bringing it back to life would have been my priority. Unfortunitally it was never my guitar, I found it on the website of an auction house my father used to frequent.

The guitar was auctioned off last night and sold for $5,500.

8. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Sounds about right, since it's a bit of a gamble. If the only damage is that which is showing, the bidder will do very well once it's repaired -- and there's likely enough room in the purchase price to cover more extensive repairs if necessary.

9. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Supporting Member

I believe that's the model guitar Dylan used on Blood on the Tracks, he was looking for the same guitar Joan Baez always used, but could only find a Nylon string version, which they strung up with steel strings anyway.
    Something like that.