Can Anyone Tell The Difference? JHS SF vs EHX SF

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Able Grip, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

Comments are disabled on YTube so I thought I would ask here. I won't give my thoughts to be neutral.

2. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

I do a similar mod for the Soul Food. The most noticeable difference will be when the gain is all the way up. As you decrease the gain, it's not as apparent. If you use the Soul Food primarily as a clean boost, you won't benefit from the mod.

3. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

The JHS was a little louder at the same knob settings and it seemed to have more high-end and less mids? Not a huge difference, IMO.

4. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

Pretty much.. it's a great pedal, but I mainly use it for stacking and a clean boost. If it was my primary dirt I would definitely be interested in the JHS version.

5. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure they just alter the clipping via toggle and add a single capacitor via the "Meat" knob. Other than that, I don't think anything else is changed. I could be wrong, of course, so I'm bracing myself for a backlash. ;)

6. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Tone is subjective and purpose-dependent.

The mod arguably increases the usefulness of the SF as a true drive pedal on high gain settings

I have had both versions and have A/B'd them myself extensively. There is a difference.

It led me to sell my stock SF and buy another JHS-modded SF used. They show up in the Emporium for ~$90.

7. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

I agree. I also doubt they can address most of original SF problems with this mod.

8. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Videos aside I've used both when I went to purchase. I decided to save the money bc the shop wanted $140, but I can assure you the JHS sounds significantly different esp by TGP corksniffing standards.

The open tone is really rich and pushes amps beautifully. The modded position is sweet, the meatball knob adds just enough bass. I really liked it but I preferred the $60 original tone and called it a day but I do consider revisiting as the SF has become a key part of my rig.