Can Anyone With A Boss Rv-5 Chime In On A Noise Issue I'm Having?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by minty901, May 18, 2015.

1. minty901

minty901 Member

Hi all. At the weekend I bought a Boss RV-5. I have noticed that when I use it with an isolated power supply (with plenty of mA), or a battery, I sometimes get this whine that sounds like the noise you would normally get if you had digital pedals on daisy chains. It's not super loud and it only seems to appear occasionally, usually after I stop playing notes but leave the pedal switched on afterwards. Changing the "effect level" changes the sound sometimes, where if the effect level is up, the whine has this oscillating sine-wave kind of shape to it, and then when I turn the effect level down to 0, it changes into a constant whine. Turning the pedal off, the whine carries on only for as long as the decay continues (so it continues with the reverb trails). When the pedal is off (trails have finished) there is no noise. It isn't a very loud noise but was enough for me to notice it as I'm used to my pedals being silent.

Also, when I opened up the bottom of the casing, the circuit board kind of just hung down with gravity -- it wasn't secure. Is this normal with some Boss pedals (doesn't happen with my DD-7)?

Does anyone else have this experience with the RV-5? I bought it new. If it's normal then I'll know not to worry and can put up with it.

Thanks.

2. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

1. It's normal for the circuit board to hang down via gravity.

2. If you're getting this on an iso supply, then A. your pedal is broken, or B. your house has weird power.

I've had 3 RV-5's, and the only way this could happen to me was using a daisy chain. Even then, it never really did this. Only my RC-2 has ever done this, but that problem disappeared when I used an iso supply.

3. minty901

minty901 Member

Thank you for your reply. That is weird for the circuit board dangling down loosely to be a normal thing. Feels like it might put undue stress on the solder that's holding it to the pedal. I guess that wouldn't be too much of a problem when the bottom is screwed in though.

I'm sure it isn't the house power that's weird as this is the only pedal that does this and it did the same thing when I used a battery. The noise is very, very quiet though I think I only notice it because I play with headphones really loudly, so my ears are very close to the source with little background interference. But regardless, if you're sure that it shouldn't make such a noise, then I had better take it back to the store. Real shame too as I wont get a chance to go to the shop for another couple of weeks. I really hope they have another in stock and will just swap it out for a working RV-5 because I love this pedal so much.

4. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Member

I'd definitely take that back and swap for a new one. I run a Boss RV5 and RV3 off a OneSpot and they're completely silent. Gravity should not be causing the board to dangle in the wind.

5. minty901

minty901 Member

thanks. i think i will try to take it back. problem is that they can be really uptight and condescending in the shop i got it from. even though i bought it last week they may not let me return it if i cant replicate the fault in the store. and since the noise is still relatively low and would probably not be easy to hear without your ear against the speaker, they might laugh me out the shop. even though ive spent £1000s in there. i wont want a refund though, just a swap for another rv5.

6. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Member

Give it a shot. At the end of the day, it's your money for their product that is supposed to deliver.

7. minty901

minty901 Member

bit of an update: i got a replacement and it has the same issue. so im going to conclude that the rv5 is just a noisier pedal than all other reverbs ive tried and some other boss pedals. oh well it still sounds great.