Can blues junior be both a dorm room amp and a small gig amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by still.ill, Jun 7, 2008.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

also can it do good with distorted tones if i have a pedal like a digitech bad monkey on hand???
    i know you can't play metal through a blues junior but what about rock like oasis/smashing pumpkins

2. Rockprocess

Rockprocess Supporting Member

I think the Blues Jr. is the perfect amp for your situation. I would highly recommend the "BillM' mods though. (Google BillM for the page with the mods.) The parts are really cheap and it really improves the sound of the amp. I have the tweed version and use it all the time at home or gigs. If you mic it, there isn't any place you couldn't play it!

3. still.ill

still.ill Member

ehh i have no idea how to do any mods... i would have wanted an amp that could just be good without mods

4. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

The Blues Jr is a good really amp without the mods, but the mods just make it more tweakable and give it more clean headroom. They don't change the character of the amp that much, but the tone controls are more usable to find the sound you are looking for. If you check one out and like it, buy it. Then down the road you can always mod it if you like.

BTW, the basic mods are pretty easy to do if you know how to solder. Billm has more sophisticated mods if you want to buy them- presence control, clean boost, extension speaker jack, etc.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I played dozens & dozens of gigs on my stock Blues Jr. (just added a pr .of JJ EL84s which really improved the tone) and over 10 yrs. it didn't hiccup once except for needing a new reverb tank.

6. nnick

nnick Member

YES! It is a very nice amp for the money and the best of Fender's Hot Rod amp series IMO. You can get some nice sounds at low volume and cranked. It is loud enough for small clubs.

I agree with Jon C about throwing in some JJ's. I would also change the stock speaker to an Eminence Texas Heat to give it some better sounding low end.

7. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

get it!

i don't think you need the mods! if you plan on doing the mods just buy a better amp!!

It's a great amp as it is, in my opinion.

8. teleman55

teleman55 Member

+1!

9. 1sickpuppy

1sickpuppy Gold Supporting Member

Just picked up a used one here on tgp with upgraded scumback speaker and jj el84s. I find it to be very useable at bedroom levels and it will get pretty loud!I plan on giging with it. A great amp for the money.