• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Can cables make that big of a difference?

jkamp20

Gold Supporting Member
I just picked up a Monster Rock cable to replace a 10 year old el-cheepo cable I've been using. I didn't think I would here a big difference, I just thought the build quality looked good on the monster. Man was I wrong, I found that the tone out of my Savage Macht 6 was definitely a bit sweeter , something in the low end is "holding together" a bit better. I mean its not supper dramatic, but I was suprised.

I was just curious if anyone else has run into the same result from a cable upgrade. . .could be my old cable was just really really bad.

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
Cables only impact frequency response, harmonic content and sustain of guitar working with amp....think that means tone. All, instrument, speaker and power cables can have significant impact.

See Lava Cable site for info.

Use Lava ELC, Van den Hul, Evidence and Kimber. All good stuff that can improve tone versus generic stuff through great amps: BF Fenders, 1960s Marshalls, Komets, Alessandros, vintage Vox, Carol-Ann....

alguit

Silver Supporting Member
They sure do! First, I keep my cable lenghts as short as I can, and for me, Evidence cables have gotten me closer to what I hope to hear (Tony Farinella once said something like, "all cables suck; some just suck less than others"). There's no magic in them; many are just less efficient and/or color one's tone in different ways.

Look at Jimi with those big, coiled cables; if they could have been straightened, one gets around 25 feet in length, lots of capacitance, a perceived "smoothing" or "rounding" of the top end, very nice for playing a Strat though a Super Lead (or any relatively bright amp).

People should not only considere guitars and amp circuitry fand speakers for tone, but speaker wire, the cable connecting the speakers to the electronics and, people, I cannot stress this enough...picks! (so overlooked!).

Folks mock EJ about this sort of attention to detail, but he DOES get great tones and sees it all as a sort of alchemy, a holistic approach to getting the sounds in one's heads to come out of those speakers.

jumpnblues

Any of the cables mentioned above will make an audible difference. George-L is another good one and is reasonably priced, which some of the others are not. They can be quite pricey.

Tom

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
They are a starting point, more transparent/more highs that come across as more detail of guitar's voice. My first specialty cable purchase.

Others, like Lava, Evidence, Vovox, VdH...give detail with more body, depth and color. If on budget, try a Lava ELC versus the generic stuff at GC/Sam Ash/local store and see if you hear difference with your set up. Well made, guaranteed by a great guy who cares.

cugel

Silver Supporting Member
i have switched over to all evidence cables. everything in my room is high quality so why use wal mart cables? the are built like tanks if i can use that analogy. sounds killer to me and my tone quest may now be over much to the pleasure of my wife. now will a 500/foot cable sound 50x better than a 10/foot cable. i doubt it but why not remove any garbage from the signal chain

Random Hero

I switched from Planet Waves to Evidence Lyric HGs last year sometime and noticed a huge difference. More clarity, more body, more detail - I guess you could say the tone is more "complex" with them. Definitely a big improvement and very noticeable. I also use the Siren II speaker cable and notice a difference between that and the George L's and PW speaker cables I had before that. It's more subtle than the instrument cables but there's definitely a difference again, and again IMO, worth it.

The folks at Harmony-Central will swear blind there's no difference between speaker cables however...

i was using monster cables for a while and bought some fulltone gold cables on a whim and really liked how they sounded..... i don't really have the money to buy really high-end cables like Evidence or anything, but i was very pleased with how the fulltone cables sound...

pennylink

The answer is a resounding YES :)

I went from coiled cables in the Sixties > Fender > Monster > George L's > Evidence Audio > Vovox. Vovox is the most neutral, clearest cable I've tried. Lyric HG is also very good, but I find the cable very stiff and awkward to use.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
Ive been using my 20ft Monster Cable for 4 years now so I couldnt tell you about differences. I can say that I have never had an issue with this cable yet! I have bought cheap cables in the past and after a month they start crackling and buzzing and sometimes not working at all.

mesanatic

I use the Evidence Lyric HG and Siren speaker cable and immediately noticed the difference with each. Was not expecting that. I even had one guitar used with one high gain amp that always squealed uncontrollably until I used it with the Lyric HG. Don't know why but I sure was pleased. Got em from Steves Music Center in NY.

Those Monster cables will give a darker sound and work well with a bright amp but you won't gain any clarity.

spyeman

I spent $120 on an Evidence cable, as I will spend the money if it means tone improvement, and I noticed no difference compared to my MARS cheapo cable. Just my experience.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Cables sure do make a difference..... for me anyway, I use a 12' Lava ELC cable and now spoiled with that cable. I noticed when I went from the Lava cable to my Canare cable my tone just sounded so flat campared to the Lava cable!

Trending Topics