can dimarzio virtual pafs be split?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Jan 19, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I want to wire my sadowsky semi up so that position 2 on the switch splits into the back coil of the neck and the front coil of the bridge.

Will that work with the virtual pafs? (Not sure since each bobbin is already 2 coils...

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Hum, are you sure they're stacked single coils put together?

I wasn't aware of that... but it seems that all dimarzio's come with 4 wire/+ground therefore allowing coil splitting. Anyway... I'm still amazed at how great all my Dimarzio pickups sound. :AOK

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

The Technical info on the Dimarzio site about the Virtual PAF speaks of the "split mode" here.

"Another advantage to the technology can be heard in split (single) coil mode. Most lower-output humbuckers have a very thin sound in this mode, but the Virtual PAF™ has a warmer, more solid split sound. This also makes the bridge model very useful in 3-pickup S-S-H guitars, because the Virtual PAF™ balances very well with many single-coils in both humbucking and split modes."

4. Bucksears

Bucksears Supporting Member

Yes, they can. I have a pair in my Ibanez Artist and I'm about to pull the trigger on another pair for my Ibanez Artstar AS120 (335 clone). I'm not about to do any drilling on the Artstar, so I've got a pair of push/pull pots from StewMac. While the VPAFs will do series/split, I'm wiring mine up series/parallel for more of a Gretsch/chimey vibe as opposed to single coil (that's what my Strat and Tele are for).
    Phenomenal pickups. They replaced a set of Duncan 59's in the Artist. I'll eventually get a set for my Hamer Standard too.

5. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

The V PAF's sound great split
    Personally, I would not choose to have the bridge coil closest to the bridge to be active as the only option when split. It tends to sound harsh where the bridge coil closer to the neck sound superb. Although, the combo of 2 outer coils has the Tele ping tone. The top neck coil is the richest tone as is the top bridge coil.

A favorite switching for me is to have a single 0n/off/on DPDT switch to control both pickups.:

Top coil of neck and bottom coil of bridge (tele ping)
    standard series
    bottom coil of neck and top coil of bridge (more semi strat quack tone)

Turn one of the pickups around, and wire it so opposite pole coils are active in combo so you retain hum canceling properties.

HJ

6. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

Fantastic humbuckers. I have them in my SG and an old Les Paul copy. I put them in the LP first, and put 3-way switches for HB, Single, and Parallel. All three modes sound great, but if you were just going install one extra mode I recommend doing the parallel instead of single-coil. With these pups, parallel sounds really close to SC, a tiny bit more body and no hum. The parallel mode sounds so good that when I put the V-Pafs in my SG, I only installed a push-pull for HB and parallel, no tapped.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with them. I never liked HB's until I tried these.