Can drums be too quiet?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cantstoplt021, Apr 21, 2016.

1. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

It seems like practically every show I see either local or professional, with the exception of jazz, the drums are too loud. You always see the drummer smashing away back there and in my opinion it makes everything sound bad. There's no room for anything else and the mix quickly goes to hell. All you can hear is drums and cymbals, goodbye separation of instruments. Can drums play too quiet for gigs? Maybe if you're playing with a loud band you could be drowned out, but still I'm not too sure. It seems like if drummers played quieter the music would sound better.

Kingsley Fats, ROKY and ibis like this.
  2. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Drumming is like bipedal motion.

Bipedal motion falls into a variety of categories, including walking, skipping, speed-walking, jogging, sprinting, leaping, etc. Each type of motion has a characteristic gait and range of speeds, beyond which it turns into something else. Jogging isn't just walking, done real fast. Even speed-walking has a different gait from walking. You take a video of someone using a particular motion and speed it up or slow it down--it looks weird and bad pretty quickly.

Drumming is the same thing--rock drumming isn't just jazz done louder and faster, and you can't scale down speed metal drumming to coffeeshop levels or acoustic ballad tempos--it doesn't work beyond oh, +/-20%.

That said, the phenomena of drummers playing too loud--beating the **** out of the drums much or all of the time, and the related issue of sound engineers making the drums crushingly loud, can be controlled--if the parties involved have an interest in doing so.

Typically, they don't.

gkoelling and GuitarGuy66 like this.
  4. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Geeze , I had to copy and paste a note for future reference ( and to hand out to neanderthal drummers I get stuck with !!!!)

[​IMG]

5. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

My ability, as a drummer, to get up over Marshall stacks without being mic'ed has landed me more gigs than it has cost me gigs.

6. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

dang, where did you get that one???? :eeks ^^^ ^^ :eeks :eeks

7. taez555

taez555 Member

During college I was mixing a show at the Berklee Performance Center in Boston for Joe Stump. If you're not familiar with him, he's a Berklee teacher who plays Yngwie shred style guitar.

Anyway...

He had brought with him 7 Marshall Stacks, all of which were turned on.

I honestly could not hear the drummer on stage when he was playing. The cymbals were gone. I was literally turning the drum Overheads up in the mix.

The SPL meter next me (mind you I'm a good 100 feet away from the stage at the FOH console in the balcony) is peaking at 115dB the whole night. :)

So yeah... it happens. :)

8. BMX

BMX Member

You get the drummer you deserve. If you can only find crappy drummers with no dynamics go home and practice (or start paying better).

9. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Hope he enjoys playing in a glass booth soon; Pete Townsend style....

https://accuquest.com/why-accuquest...-struggles-with-hearing-loss-a-musicians-risk

he is self delusional and blames his hearing loss on headphones !!!! Ya , sure Pete , sure thing ...

I was right next to some jack ass when he just had to pound his crash so hard ( on a postage stamp sized stage !!)..... my knees literally buckled !

No excuse for that buffoonery ..period .

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

"Can drums be too quiet?"

My first thought was a drummer using brushes in a heavy metal band.

[​IMG]

11. jackson

jackson Supporting Member

Yes, especially electronic drums.

12. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Actually, they can. I played a gig Saturday night and the owner requires drummers to use hotrods. No definition on the cymbals at all.