Can fretboard position markers be replaced?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by stevel, Jun 9, 2008.

1. stevel

stevel Member

I asked this in another forum but I wanted to get some luthiers' opinions as well, so please forgive the cross post:

I have a RW strat with mother of pearl position markers and they tend to blend into the neck and disappear in some lighting conditions. Can they be taken out and just have some stock white ones put in?

TIA,
    Steve

2. Mike Navarro

Mike Navarro Member

3. stevel

stevel Member

Ok, thanks guys - some of the other responses were leading me to believe it's a great deal of trouble. Now it at least seems feasible. I'll check into it.

Thanks

4. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

I really dont like anything other than standard plastic dots... even on high end instruments.... I agree that the abalone and mother of pearl dots get "lost"

5. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

not a BIG surgery but i ve seen a lot of fretboard "slaughtered" by someone who tried to remove the dots...
    You gotta be really careful doing it and know what you re doing or that may end up with a full refret and plain the board again ...

6. stevel

stevel Member

Yeah, especially on the rosewood fingerboard. One of mine has an opalescence that is almost the same shade as the fingerboard naturally, so it virtually disappears. Whenever a red light hits me on stage, they're all gone.

Thanks,
    Steve

7. Bruce Bennett

Bruce Bennett Senior Member

no problems at all. especially if your going back with same style inlays only different materials.