Can Fuzz and Wah play well together?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DreamTheaterRules, Feb 7, 2008.

1. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Silver Supporting Member

What does it take to make a fuzz and wah play well together? In my experience, both want to be first in the chain. But I'm into Jimi and stuff where I need both. What must be present in the wah, and/or the fuzz, in order to use one or the other or both, with no negative effects on either?

Discuss...

2. iggs

iggs Member

Get a new RMC Teese Wah with the output buffer and it will play nicely with your fuzz, or get one of the Phoenix Custom Electronics fuzzes with input impedance control and you can tweak it to taste.

3. iggs

iggs Member

Also, you can get a Foxrox Wah retrofit kit and add it to your existing wah.

4. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

That's what I did, and it works exactly as advertised.

5. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Silver Supporting Member

I was interested in a BYOC, and I think they have mods to have or not have the buffer. Are you saying the fuzz goes well WITH a buffer? I thought it was the opposite... hmmm.

6. michael patrick

The Foxrox wah retrofit is a JFET buffer desigend specifically for the purpose of making the wah and fuzz work together. I'm not nearly technically-minded enough to explain why it works, but work it does...

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I know it's been said several times already but if your wah says RMC on it or has the Foxrox buffer installed you'll be fine! I put off using my fuzz pedals for years because they never worked well witih my wah pedals...now my main wah is an RMC Picture wah and not only is it a killer wah pedal it works very well with my fuzz pedals!

EDIT: Since making this post I have changed my mind about what the best wah for me and I no longer use RMC wahs.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  8. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Try using a buffered pedal between the fuzz and wah like an old Boss or Ibanez. Im using a borrowed DM-2 between my Foxrox Hot Silicon and Vox V846 with no oscilliation whatsoever.

9. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

true but doesn't that buffer really mess with the overall tone of the fuzz??? I tried that before I got my Teese wah and found that (in my situation) adding buffered pedals before my fuzz boxes added a terrible treble overtone to the tone...

10. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

1+ This works... or use a Beano on low or high toggle!

Sunface into a BudWah alone sounds great...

Fuzz before wah always!

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Sometimes they can but I havent noticed any tone loss with my HS, BBB or Analogman fuzzes. You always want to run the fuzz before any buffered pedals.

12. michael patrick

[​IMG]

Just saying.... ;)

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Im not saying tone loss but when I tried it I got all this nasty high end that only went away if I moved the buffered pedals to be after my fuzz pedal(s)...

If it works for you thats great but for me it was worse that the typical wah into a fuzz noise...

14. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I think I know exactly what you are talking about. I get the same '' nasty high end with no fuzz '' symptom running fuzzes into my EP-3.

15. hb_nz

hb_nz Member

I've ordered a Foxrox Wah retrofit for the same reason. Can those of you who have one tell me how long it took to arrive? I've been waiting just over 2 weeks now and was wondering if I should get in touch with Dave...

16. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

For those Foxrox Retrofit users - does it affect the tone? I understand it's supposed to help with fuzz, but do you find that when using clean, it sounds different than before?

17. burner

burner Member

How did Jimi make it without all the buffering?

18. hb_nz

hb_nz Member

Well there's a lot of live recordings and video footage where Jimi had all the problems you would associate with wah and fuzz. I suspect Roger Mayer would have tweaked many of Jimi's pedals to solve those issues. Plus, Jimi was a freak and if anyone could make it work he could!:JAM

19. hb_nz

hb_nz Member

Ok, my foxrox wah mod arrived and I can tell you it works perfectly! NO problems at all now using the wah with my fuzzes (CC2's fuzzfoot and a Baja Tech Das Fuzz GE). Seems to have improved the tone when I use it with my OD pedals as well.
    Another thing I noticed was the output on my wah (Vox V847) seemed to drop slightly after I modded it to True-bypass, which I've heard is a common side effect. The Foxrox buffer to my ears has restored the output back, which is a nice bonus! Cheers Dave!

20. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

Here's how I understand it... so guys correct me if I'm wrong.

A buffer before any of my fuzzes kills the tone.
    A wah before the fuzz gets "lost" when played together.
    If I'm understanding it correctly, it's due to the impedance change from the wah and that a buffer will bring it back to a useable impedance with the fuzz.... but the buffer only engages when the effect is on.... without the wah before the buffer, the impedance would negatively effect the fuzz. A fuzz wants to see a low impedance and the wah must alter this.

and I haven't tried it, but I want to loop a wah and buffer in a true bypass loop to see if I'm understanding it correctly. Is this right, or is it a buffer with a different "value" than what is normally on bypassed effects that Teese and FoxRox are using. Does the wah buffer bring the impedance to a lower value (opposite of say a Boss buffer to help drive a low impedance to a high impedance)

Can anybody confirm this?