Can good classic Marshall tone be had with any of the DSL heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by billyg121, Jan 25, 2015.

1. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

Also, what do you guys think about the build quality if these, DSL 50, DSL 100 etc.

2. sleewell

sleewell Member

Industry standard for a reason. They are awesome.

3. billyg121

So overall build quality is pretty good?

4. gtone

gtone Member

DSL line seems pretty scooped compared to my JMP, a LOT more bottom end too. While not apples to oranges, it's more akin to comparing MacIntosh to Delicious.

5. billyg121

Lol. I have heard the more modern Marshall's are kinda scooped. This is something I don't want.

6. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

I think they can get great tones. Just need to dial in the eq to your liking. People that say they are fizzy or scooped need to change the eq settings, or try different speakers as well.
    They are a simple plug in and play amps. No boost or distortion pedals needed.

7. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

You can get great tones out of them and they are pretty tough. I used to service a DSL100 for Greg Howe. One time it came in with a blown tube and Greg didn't even realize that it had blown and was running it on three tubes for a good part of his tour. That said, it lived in a cushioned road case. The front panel knobs are pretty flimsy, so do not bump them, they will break. There is a lot of range in the knobs, real easy to overdue it if you are not careful...

8. goddot

goddot Supporting Member

Great story!

9. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Had a JCM 2000 DSL from 1999 and It was a workhorse for many years. Good master volume. I never used the mid shift it thump switch. I Later had Voodoo Amps do their Deluxe Mod, but it was a great amp without it. Get a used one. The new DSL series I didn't care for as much.

10. billyg121

Yeah, I've really been researching and anxious to remedy my classic Marshall tone gas. A local guy I know has a DSL 50 head that looks pretty good for 500 bucks. I'm kinda in a weird situation that may prevent me from playing it first , before I buy it. So keep the thoughts coming.