Can Greenbacks have a tight bottom end?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tfunster, Oct 12, 2008.

1. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

I was thinking about going for a different "flavor" for my JTM45/Plexi styled amp, and I'm intrigued by the Greenback, whether it be Celestion or Scumback.

I know that Greenbacks are known for flubbing out on the low end, but I'm wondering if two Greenbacks could have a nice tight and punchy low end if the amp is dialed in properly and isn't cranked all the way up. They would be in a 2x12 slant closed back cab.

What do you guys think?

2. sliberty

sliberty Member

Probably not going to tighten up the bottom enough for you. Remember, JTM45's already have a flubby bottom compared with later Marshalls. So add to that the Greenbacks? I wouldn't expect a tight bottom.

Personally, I like the combination mind you, but I'd never call it tight.

Try V30's maybe???

3. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

yeah I think they could. I ran a Classic 45 germino with mids way up and bass almost off and presence almost all up and treble off into a 4c12 closed back cab and it was as tight as it can get.

4. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Tight is not a word that comes to mind with Greenbacks at all.

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

With a JTM 45 I'd advise a dual H75 mix for a tighter low end, and at least an M75/H75 mix. Set the bass to 3 or less, the mids, treble and presence up to taste.

6. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

Jim, I would love to buy some of your speakers one day (hopefully soon). I'm looking for a speaker less bright than the Celestion Golds I have right now. Have you compared your H75's to the Gold?

7. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I just heard a clip of the Scumback greenback inspired 100 watt speaker- sounded great. I think that'd work- also, I played a 2-12" with heritage 65's the other day, that's a great sounding speaker I think. Warm and woody like a greenback, a bit smoother I'd say, and I bet they hold together better when pushed.

If they were in a 4-12" I'd say don't worry just use Chinese Greenbacks but in a 2-12" ya I'd try something with the greenback flavor but higher power.

i'm starting to really think I'm just not a v30 guy.

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

No, I sure haven't, sorry. Going to be an apples to oranges comparison since the H75 is a ceramic magnet vs the Alnico magnet in the Gold.

You'll want to compare the Scumnico to the Gold to be fair. I know the Scumnico is less bright, with a bit more low end and low mids than the Gold.

9. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Yes, they can. You need to back off on the bass and gain though. They'll never be as tight as a V30 but they have a character you can't get from any other speaker. A V30 can sound quite good as well depending on what cabinet it's in.