Can I add an H - Hofner??

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Pythagoras, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Member

I read the thread concerning Hamer and Heritage, how about Hofner.

Esp. interms of a semi-hollow other than a 335.

I played one and thought it was stellar.

any thoughts on Hofners????

2. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

Hmm, what defines "small" company? ;)

3. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

apparently Hamer does. :messedup

4. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Member

OK I will take my question to the genral forum, but it seems that Hamers and Heritage are actually easier to come by.

I thought the Hofners to be on equal footing with Hamer and Heritage in terms of craftsmanship, No???

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Some people consider "small company" to mean "other than the Big 3: Fender, Gibson, and PRS." To that you can add the foreign Big 3, Ibanez, Yamaha, and Samick. If this defines you, go with your instincts, don't be deterred from posting here just because someone else feels differently.

Sorry, I don't have much experience with Hofners but George4908 digs 'em, perhaps he'll chime in.

6. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

I didn't mean to say your question was off-topic here, I only looked at it from a "German perspective", i.e. Hofner still is the biggest stringed instruments manufacturer here, as far as I know. But of course it's also true that it's more difficult to find in the U.S. than Hamer or Heritage. :BEER

I did a search for Hofner, Höfner and Hoefner here and found some interesting threads, especially about the new Verythin model which is generally rated to be on par with these companies. I haven't played one myself though. By the way, the HofnerHound forum is online again with a new software, so you might also find some opinions there:

http://ccgi.harrisonwass.plus.com/sms/

All older threads have been lost though due to several hacker attacks.

7. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

Hofner makes plenty of violins, violas, 'cellos, basses and classical guitars. But they don't make a lot of Beatle basses, jazz guitars or Verythins - these are all niche products and aren't cheap.

And unlike Hamer, Hofner has not yet gotten its Furutama guitar act together yet. We finished setting up the Hofner booth at the MIAC show today in Toronto (show runs Sunday/Monday), and I checked out the Hamer display at the Canadian distributor's booth. Over 30 Hamer branded guitars, of which TWO were made in the USA.

My impression is that, other than the continued interest in the Beatle bass, Hofner is in the same boat as Heritage in the US - a few key independents and jazz-oriented dealers have them and no one else has them or cares.

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Hofner guitars - specifically the Very Thin and Jazzica - are very reasonably priced considering they are solid wood and made in a first world country. I've always wanted to try a Jazzica.

9. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

I have been playing a couple of Hofners over the years and still own a New President and a Jazzica.
    Both Guitars are -strange enough!- pretty much alike when plugged in soundwise.The Jazzica tolerates bigger volumes and does not THAT much feed back on the lower E- String. ( I changed the original pickup of the Jazzica to a Benedetto humbucker (which is actually built by Seymour Duncan) and had the New President´s pickup rewound by Harry Häussel though. Veeeery impressive!! ):AOK

Considereing prize/craftsmanship both guitars are a STEAL!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

From my very limited experience playing both in stores, I've been very impressed by them, and they'd certainly be on my short list if I was looking for a jazz box or ES335-type.

I was also intrigued to see Mr. Zucker holding what I think is a Jazzica on the cover of Sheets Of Sound I .. since he makes a living teaching/gigging jazz then presumably it goes the distance as a professional-grade jazz box.

11. JiMB

JiMB Member

I just bought a Bobby Broom cd, "Deep Blue Bruise", because of this thread. He plays a Jazzica. Nice guitars!

12. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I have a Jazzica, it's a great guitar!
    [​IMG]