• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Can I borrow your......?

We've all had it asked before. I know I have horror stories. You know, you lend out your week old Larrivee to a friend and it comes back with two BIG dings in the back of the neck. Or, you lend out your AC-30 and get it back with the high input no longer working. One of my favorites, "can we borrow your monitors, I promise we wont get confetti in their enclosures this time (everyone has wanted to be like the FlamingLips at some point)". This was three years ago, and I still find confetti in my jam space and van all the time.

I have an incredibly long list like this. I don't want to be that guy that is tight with his **** but, some people make it so hard.

ANYONE CARE TO SHARE THEIR HORROR STORIES?

sodapopinski

Man, i dont have any thank God... i just don't let anyone borrow anything... i dont think my heart would be able to take it.
But i am guilty of borrowing guitars and amps from friends, the difference is that if anything happens to the gear i borrow they know i have the money to fix/repair any damaged item. That is not the case with my friends... they are BROKE.

....... they know i have the money to fix/repair any damaged item. That is not the case with my friends... they are BROKE.
The people I've lent to aren't broke, they're cheap.......and careless.

Oh man, this is getting me all fired up. About half a year ago I approached a guy who, for about a year, hadn't returned my Reason program. When I asked for it back his reply was, "oh yeah, .......who did I lend that to again?"! I still don't have it back.

I came home from New Years at my families place, went downstairs to do some laundry, only to find that my roommate had borrowed most of my drums/cymbals/stands and hadn't asked or had the decency to bring them back right away.

It's just stuff, right? aoijfpoiqjwepfoiqwjepfd

monty

Yeah, his stuff drives me mad too.
I had the reverse happen to me. Borrowed a bass from someone to lay some tracks down and I opened the box when I got home and the nut was broke in half (half wasnt even in the box so I know this didnt happen in transit). I paid to have it fixed but still...
Oh yeah, I hate gigging with bands who always need to borrow stuff. Who shows up at gigs without enough chords ect.:jo

sodapopinski

Who shows up at gigs without enough chords ect.
I KNOW!!! man, and then you need to make sure you're there when they are cleaning up to make sure they dont keep what they borrowed :FM

doctorx

The number of people to whom I will loan gear can be counted on one hand, with a couple fingers missing.

I once joined a blues band and at the first rehearsal at my place the band leader brought another guitarist with him without previously telling me. The guy walked in with no case for his guitar, no strap, no cord, and no amp and they both expected me to fix him up.

They left in a huff after about ten minutes of discussion about my gear lending policies.

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
THe Keys player in our band had a suspended license. He'd always come in, right at showtime, and ask if someone could give him a ride to get the keyboard. After he got the keys, it would be "Who has a cable?" "Who has a DI?" "Anybody remember what happend to that amp I was using last time?" (His own amp!!) But he could jam, so you would bend over for a guy like that. I mean, he wailed on KEYBOARD. Come on. I'd give anything for that guy.

Last edited:

sidehatch

What about players that ONLY call you if they need something?

I can think of a guy in particular that only calls me when he needs something to borrow or do for him!

supernosher

I was in a band and one of the guitarists guitars was broken or something, so he ended up using my strat for practice. I was there with him, and he broke the nut somehow... He never did pay to have it fixed. He was like offended by me asking him to fix it, like somehow it was my responsibilty. ???

blood5150

Oh yeah, I hate gigging with bands who always need to borrow stuff. Who shows up at gigs without enough chords ect.:jo

I have a bag that I call the "Oh ****" bag... oh ****, I forgot my cable, oh **** I forgot my strap....etc...

That bag has picks, straps, cables, batteries, extension cords, etc...

It has even saved my ass a few times...

Last edited:

StompBoxBlues

To my way of thinking, you only lend things you wouldn't be crushed about having be ruined. And chronic borrowers...you can gently tell them that "you are going to have to sort some of this stuff out yourself, I actually bought this equipment to have it, to use it..".

At BEST...it is an inconvenience. Case by case, too (some people I don't mind lending to, others I won't) but the golden rule, which MUST NEVER be broken is..."you return this to me in exactly the SAME condition as you borrow it". No excuses, no "well, it was falling apart when you lent it to me"...nothing. At WORST it can sour relationships.

I often take a backup amp (often a Classic 30) and have "lent" (honestly, it is almost like a "stickup"....3rd parties, not knowing ANYTHING and who certainly wouldn't help you out replacing something, can often get on their high horse about "being a little trusting" and "can't you lend the band before you your amp? I mean, it'll ruin it if not (or, there's no "time" for amp shifting between bands)...

So you get to either cringe and worry as you see some kid treat your equipment like a rental car, OR you get to feel like a selfish, greedy, egotist for not lending your equipment...phhhbbt!

Next time a person, or a 3d party is trying to get you to lend your equipment, look a little in the distance and say "yeah...okay, but listen, WHERE is your car parked? I need to run out for some cigs, and beer, can I borrow it while he plays my amp?"....

:)

DS88

Next time a person, or a 3d party is trying to get you to lend your equipment, look a little in the distance and say "yeah...okay, but listen, WHERE is your car parked? I need to run out for some cigs, and beer, can I borrow it while he plays my amp?"....

:)
That's a good one.. gotta remember that one!

The worst part is, that people assume they can use your amp.. Sometimes it seems people just tell you they're going to be using your amp..

stoob0t

Quite a few times my band have opening shows, and the band playing AFTER us have turned up with next to nothing - or, just prefered the look of our backline to the amps that they've brought and asked to borrow virtually everything.

I dont mind at all if people drop us a message before the show and ask if it's possible to share any gear - what really winds me up is when people simply assume that they can borrow everyone else's backline and bring nothing with them. This includes a band who once turned up who's bassist hadn't brought a bass guitar...

"but if we cant borrow yours, we cant play!"

Too bad i say. I understand that sometimes day-job commitments mean that it's not possible to bring everything to a show - but it really doesnt hurt to get in touch with a band beforehand and ask if they'll mind loaning some essentials.

My personal gear policy is to only loan cabs and cables at shows. Most of my friends can borrow pretty much whatever they need as long as i'm not using it.

Moe45673

I once had this kid (about 16) ask if he could borrow my old Marshall Valvestate amp (one from the 90s). I told him sure, but if ANYTHING happens to it, he's gotta pay.

Anyhow, sure enough, he gets to whereever his gig is, they plug in, power light doesn't even turn on. Now, whether that was his fault or not I have no idea, but he didn't pony up, so I put out the 75 bucks to fix the blown tranny or whatever it was.

That dude is about 20 or 21 now, but he knows that he can never ask me for equipment again. I'm happy with the outcome, because there's been a few times where he'd really wanted to but I just gave him a look :)

I only lend gear out of my sight to people I really trust.
In my sight I'm fairly nice and don't mind lending.
My only major breakdown was at a gig where I finished playing and was packing up. The guy who was playing next had an issue with his valvestate head and asked if he could use mine.
I said sure. It died in a puff of smoke, he had plugged it into his 4x12 with a instrument cable. He was broke, but I had full gear insurance and got it fixed and revalved for nothing. He did apologise sincerely and gave me $50 (all he had)

Trending Topics