• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Can I buy a solderless speaker to amp input connector?

jamoed

I opened up my Vox AC15CC to put in my new Alnico Blue speaker only to notice the speaker is soldered to the + and - end of the cable. Instead of bringing in the speaker to a tech guy because I don't know how to solder, is there a way to purchase the snap on connector to avoid soldering?

Thanks!

Blueswede

Platinum Supporting Member
Learn how to solder. It's really not a big deal, and it'll save you money. Just unsolder the wires off of the connectors and put on a couple of spade terminals. They just go over the speaker wire and you crimp them with a pair of pliers.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
Learn how to solder. It's really not a big deal, and it'll save you money. Just unsolder the wires off of the connectors and put on a couple of spade terminals. They just go over the speaker wire and you crimp them with a pair of pliers.

+1. I was wary of soldering myself for the longest time, then finally learned and now I build my own amps!! Empower yourself by learning, a $20 kit from Radio Shack will last you years and open up all kinds of routine maintence things you normally would outsource.

Austinrocks

solder creates a strong mechanical connection, there are crimp tools and connectors but they are for a connetion that will not move around a lot, they do come loose in a very short time. Soldered stuff stays together for years.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Any harware stores will have wire-to-wire male/female connectors that can be crimped on. When I use those, I usually put a little solder in the crimped area just to be safe, but it's not necessary.

I agree you should learn how to solder, it's a lot of fun. Just practice on old radios first. I use a cheap 25 watt iron and it works great. I had a 20/40 one and it was either too ho or not hot enough for what I was using it on. See youtube for instructional videos.

joolzriff

i know what you are saying ,its a pain in the arse..i have a bogner cab w/ HUGE cable in it and the lugs on speakers are so fragile...when i was soldering the huge cable the solder was being particular to the heat in my solder pen and i had to apply a tiny bit of pressure and the lugs were moving a bit,try and be quick soldering as u could heat up stuff u dont want to be heating for too long,EG u can ruin pickups like that...
i wish the speakers had binding posts like my old JBLs that would be so easy to deal w/ and you could swap speakers more frequently and quickly instead of it being a chore

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
Any harware stores will have wire-to-wire male/female connectors that can be crimped on. When I use those, I usually put a little solder in the crimped area just to be safe, but it's not necessary.

I agree you should learn how to solder, it's a lot of fun. Just practice on old radios first. I use a cheap 25 watt iron and it works great. I had a 20/40 one and it was either too ho or not hot enough for what I was using it on. See youtube for instructional videos.
Agreed.

Doug

I opened up my Vox AC15CC to put in my new Alnico Blue speaker only to notice the speaker is soldered to the + and - end of the cable. Instead of bringing in the speaker to a tech guy because I don't know how to solder, is there a way to purchase the snap on connector to avoid soldering?

Thanks!
Radio Shack sells the crimp-on connectors.

Trending Topics