Can I buy a solderless speaker to amp input connector?

jamoed

I opened up my Vox AC15CC to put in my new Alnico Blue speaker only to notice the speaker is soldered to the + and - end of the cable. Instead of bringing in the speaker to a tech guy because I don't know how to solder, is there a way to purchase the snap on connector to avoid soldering?

Thanks!

Blueswede

Platinum Supporting Member
Learn how to solder. It's really not a big deal, and it'll save you money. Just unsolder the wires off of the connectors and put on a couple of spade terminals. They just go over the speaker wire and you crimp them with a pair of pliers.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
Learn how to solder. It's really not a big deal, and it'll save you money. Just unsolder the wires off of the connectors and put on a couple of spade terminals. They just go over the speaker wire and you crimp them with a pair of pliers.

+1. I was wary of soldering myself for the longest time, then finally learned and now I build my own amps!! Empower yourself by learning, a $20 kit from Radio Shack will last you years and open up all kinds of routine maintence things you normally would outsource.

Austinrocks

solder creates a strong mechanical connection, there are crimp tools and connectors but they are for a connetion that will not move around a lot, they do come loose in a very short time. Soldered stuff stays together for years.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Any harware stores will have wire-to-wire male/female connectors that can be crimped on. When I use those, I usually put a little solder in the crimped area just to be safe, but it's not necessary.

I agree you should learn how to solder, it's a lot of fun. Just practice on old radios first. I use a cheap 25 watt iron and it works great. I had a 20/40 one and it was either too ho or not hot enough for what I was using it on. See youtube for instructional videos.

joolzriff

i know what you are saying ,its a pain in the arse..i have a bogner cab w/ HUGE cable in it and the lugs on speakers are so fragile...when i was soldering the huge cable the solder was being particular to the heat in my solder pen and i had to apply a tiny bit of pressure and the lugs were moving a bit,try and be quick soldering as u could heat up stuff u dont want to be heating for too long,EG u can ruin pickups like that...
i wish the speakers had binding posts like my old JBLs that would be so easy to deal w/ and you could swap speakers more frequently and quickly instead of it being a chore

Any harware stores will have wire-to-wire male/female connectors that can be crimped on. When I use those, I usually put a little solder in the crimped area just to be safe, but it's not necessary.

I agree you should learn how to solder, it's a lot of fun. Just practice on old radios first. I use a cheap 25 watt iron and it works great. I had a 20/40 one and it was either too ho or not hot enough for what I was using it on. See youtube for instructional videos.

Agreed.

Doug

I opened up my Vox AC15CC to put in my new Alnico Blue speaker only to notice the speaker is soldered to the + and - end of the cable. Instead of bringing in the speaker to a tech guy because I don't know how to solder, is there a way to purchase the snap on connector to avoid soldering?

Thanks!

Radio Shack sells the crimp-on connectors.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom