Can I change the EQ of my amp with new tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JimH, May 30, 2008.

1. JimH

JimH Member

Specifically - is it possible to add a tighter bass response with tube choices??

...I've got a 20W plexi which I really like. However, I fired up my 1x6L6 fender type amp and was knocked out by the bass - loved it. Can I get more in the plexi with tube choices?

2. somedude

somedude Member

Lot's of dudes have used 6550, 6L6, and KT88 tubes over the years trying to get a bigger bass response than what EL34s had to offer. So far as I know however they're not necessarily a strait drop in.... you may need some slight mods done to accommodate the different plate currents.

3. JimH

JimH Member

Thanks, but the plexi 20W is EL84s.

4. somedude

somedude Member

Yeah... sorry.... I read Plexi and forgot about the 20w thing.

Not much to be done about the EL84s. They naturally have a fuzzy, sorta broken edge to them without a whole lot of bottom end. It's part of the reason I gave up on low wattage heads and switched back to the big boys.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Producing clean bass response requires more power than the other frequencies, it's a law of physics which can't be repealed;)

A 20 watt amp can NEVER have as tight of a bass response as a 2 6L6 (approximately 40 watt) amp.

Tubes are not a "silver bullet" (they can't cure everything you don't like about your amp).

6. JimH

JimH Member

I appreciate the point - the 6L6 amp I've got is lower wattage than the plexi but still go the bass response so I doubt it's a wattage issue - but circuits are what they are I suppose.

7. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I have tried with power and preamp tubes to get better tones and in some amps it very noticable,and others not so much,You will here drastic tone changes with speaker changes much better,with just about any amp,I find the Emminance speaker selection to be very good,and good value.

8. JimH

JimH Member

perhaps a change of cab is the key. Or switch to G12H rather than G12M.

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Then you're down the power supply filtering, rectifier type, speaker, cabs....

10. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Some EL84s have more bottom than others. What do you have in there now?

I also concur with looking at speakers as well.

11. Sudsysul

Sudsysul Member

EL84's just don't have the bass, and your amp is better than many EL84 - based amps for bass. As you mention, 6L6's are bassier than the midrangey EL34's, it's just the nature of the beast. Mike sells tubes, but he's telling it like it is.

12. JimH

JimH Member

thanks guys - so possibly could get bit more bass but don't expect a magic bullet. I find this is pretty much the answer to all amp related enquiries! - they are what they are - nice to hear from people with experience though.

13. 73171

73171 Member

Try a Boss 7 band EQ and boost the bass..............(this works pretty well for my Princeton Reverb.........)

14. major

major Member

If you had a Closed back 212 cabinet, as deep as a bottom 412 cab, you'll find with a set of celestion's G12-70-80 made in england (Rola) speakers, will give you a fair amount of bass just from that setup. I would search around to find a cabinet like this, bring your amp and plug in and give it a shot.

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 You might get the best results by using a cab and speaker combination which optimizes bass response. For instance-a large magnet speaker in a ported cab would probably produce the most low end. Bob

16. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Definitely play with the speakers. A lot of variation is possible there.