• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Can I damage 2x12 Alnico Blues with JTM45?

omarxx

Will I damage my Celestion Alnico Blue speakers in a 2x12 16 ohm cabinet by powering them with a JTM45 that has been upgraded with Mercury Magnetics transformers and KT66 tubes? Thanks. :dunno

- omar

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Sure can. The blue is a 15 watt speaker. If you turn that amp up past "2" they won't last very long.

Brewmaster

Yep, sure will.

If you can swing the $$$ get Celestion Golds. I run a JTM45 into a 2x12 loaded with a Gold and a G12H. That is my current tonal Nirvana which may not be yours.

silvertone

I've used mine with blues for the past 5 years, and cranked at times. The speakers are fine. In fact, I think they've still not completely broken in.
It might depend on your playing style though....

billstets

I'm pretty sure a JTM45 is 30-35 watts, but that's clean. It will put out probably 45-55 watts cranked. Just like a JMP 50 watter, will put out 75 when cranked.

Roe

they will last a while. how long depends on b+, tubes, bias, playing style, amp settings, effects etc etc

Roe

also, running a 8ohm load for the 16ohms output on the amp (or a 4 ohm load from the 8 ohm outut) will increase the power and blow the speakers faster

ben_allison

I've read somewhere that they put out about 30 watts.

That's RMS, not peak. RMS can be as little as half of peak output.

This is why you typically want DOUBLE your amps wattage in speaker handling.

50 watt head goes on top of a 4x12 of Greenbacks.
100 watt head goes on top of a 4x12 of V30's.

dunara

I have a JTM45 with KT66s, and a cabinet with 2 old ('70s) blues at 16ohms. I've dimed the amp once through that cabinet. It was starting to fart a bit on the low notes, so I turned it down and have never been back there - I have two other cabinets I can use, and now have a Weber mini-mass, so it's not really necessary.
One point - if the OT is tapped at 16 ohms, the rated output should be lower than 8 ohms, which is lower than 4 ohms etc. Anyone know the precise figures for each impedance setting?

WesKuhnley

Why spend the dough on golds? try some weber's for about $200 per, or WGS AlNiCo's for $230 ish...The new WGS Blackhawk 100 is fantastic

amp boy

Will you damage them....??
No, since yer in Texas.

Just bring them to Austin SpeakerWorks perhaps first.....might be cheaper than after the boom.

I say you want to play the amp.........so get some speakers for it.
can i get an ahmen....??
: )

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
also, running a 8ohm load for the 16ohms output on the amp (or a 4 ohm load from the 8 ohm outut) will increase the power and blow the speakers faster
An impedance mismatch either way with a tube amp will cause a reduction in power output. Bob

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
no, thats simply not correct in this case since the primary impedance is way high
Thats interesting. Ive been told many times that any mismatch will result in power loss with a tube amp. Bob

willhutch

Silver Supporting Member
There's a difference between "will damage" and "can damage". Clearly it's possible to hurt 15 watt speakers with a JTM45. How loud are you gonna play? You'll be fine as long as you don't push too hard. But of course, you never know where "too hard" is until you actually damage the speakers.

Trending Topics