Can I fly with a speaker

filtersweep

I pre-ordered a Raging Cajun 12" and had it delivered to a friend in the US. I need to head back to Europe later this week.

On the box, it states 'Ground ship only- contains magnets'

I am flying Delta-- there is no mention of magnets as restricted. TSA does not mention magnets as restricted. However, several other airlines restrict speakers and magnets specifically.

Any idea? I was planning to just send it in a checked bag. Now I am not sure if I should just return it.

filtersweep

I should mention that the partner airline, KLM, has the same rules as Delta. However, do baggage screeners screen by specific rules per airline? USAir, for example, forbids magnets and speakers. This makes no sense.

Kyle B

Silver Supporting Member
Every cell phone & computer has several ludicrously powerful magnets in 'em. I've not heard of cells phones being banned

kiki_90291

Every cell phone & computer has several ludicrously powerful magnets in 'em. I've not heard of cells phones being banned
You must have very strange computers and cell phones where you come from. No magnets in mine (and certainly not ludicrously powerful ones).

Trotter

TSA got real excited about a ceramic 8" speaker I had in my carry-on last year. They called a Supervisor from the office to come inspect it and question me on it. It was a stressful experience and delayed me for a while. They ended up letting me take it on after they felt confident it was nothing more than a speaker.

I've had them in my checked bags before and never had any issues... but be sure to check with the airline you're traveling with.

zenas

You must have very strange computers and cell phones where you come from. No magnets in mine (and certainly not ludicrously powerful ones).
Dude. "No magnets in mine" ?????? Google rare earth magnets.

Amp speakers are pretty fricking big though.

misisipimike

I have carried on a Pro Junior outfitted with that very same speaker and placed it in the overhead a few times.

thekaiser

Gold Supporting Member
You do realize your phone has both a microphone and and a speaker in it, thus making it a phone? Your computer also has both of these things. And both speakers and microphones are made from magnets ergo...

Classic09

You do realize your phone has both a microphone and and a speaker in it, thus making it a phone? Your computer also has both of these things. And both speakers and microphones are made from magnets ergo...
This. I doubt the magnets are really that strong in either a phone or computer (ie they won't stick to your fridge!!) however they both contain magnets.

A speaker magnet is significantly more powerful than a large proportion of other items.

filtersweep

As big as the magnet is, it isn't like things stick to the box. Is it possible it could degauss a hard drive if it was shipped next to a laptop? I see no way it could cause magnetic interference related to the operation of the plane itself.

ugameus

Silver Supporting Member
As big as the magnet is, it isn't like things stick to the box. Is it possible it could degauss a hard drive if it was shipped next to a laptop? I see no way it could cause magnetic interference related to the operation of the plane itself.

I fried a motherboard by setting it on a subwoofer. Whoops.

Trending Topics