Can I Get A Good Tube Amp Bass Rig For Under $150?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Torren61, May 23, 2015.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Member

Why yes. Yes I can.

I spotted a Traynor Bass-Master head without the cab on CL nearby. The guy wanted $150. When I got there, it was clear the head needed some work. It had a two prong cord wired incorrectly to the end of a three prong cord that was wired incorrectly. I gave the guy $100 and left with the head. Turns out it is a 1968 YBA-1 loaded with two Sylvania EL34s and three Rogers 12AX7s. SCORE! Although one of the EL34 center pins was broken. Dang!

I properly wired in a new three prong cord and removed the death cap. I installed two new JJ KT77 power tubes and three JJ ECC83S tubes.

THEN, today I received a return phone call from a woman who had a Fender 1X15 cab for sale. The cab has coasters and is loaded with the original Eminence speaker. I brought it home for... $40! SCORE! I cleaned it up, painted the grill and rewired a new input jack. The speaker has a small ding to the outer cone but there's no noise when I plug in my 1973 Fender Precision bass and CRANK MY 1968 TRAYNOR YBA-1 HEAD!! Booya!!

Here's the amp and cab:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CL has been very good to me lately.

2. Custom50

Custom50 Member

man, that's a damn good score!

Torren61 likes this.
  3. Torren61

Torren61 Member

Thanks! My previous CL score (two weeks ago) was a 90s model Crate VC5212 amp. I traded $150 cash and a 1992 Peavey Foundation bass I had modded (Bourns pots, vintage Sprague bumblebee cap and Babiscz bridge). I love these amps. (4) 12AX7 and (4) EL84 tubes, 50 watts through 2X12 cab. Another CL score was a Crate Vintage Club 20 with a single ten inch speaker.

Yesterday, I plugged the 20 watt Crate into the 15 inch cab and was like... "OMG!!!" Amazing tone and the amp sounded so HUGE. Like a 30 or 40 watt amp. Such a good combination. Much better than the 10 inch stock speaker.

4. zenas

zenas Member

I love CL ! My girlfriend hates me on CL because I'm filling the basement up with amps.

Torren61 likes this.
  5. e???

e??? Member

Congrats! I actually clicked on this thread to tell you "no you can't get a good tube bass amp for 150" but there you go, good work man. I gotta learn how to work on amps, there's a lot more opportunities when you know what you're looking at and what the problems are.

Torren61 likes this.