Can I get clost to P90 tone?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Teleman, May 5, 2005.

1. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I'm hoping to find a strat sized replacement pickup that would get me close to P90 tone.
    Any recommendations? Does something exist?

2. Antero

Antero Member

Yeah, a number of makers have P90-sounding single coils... Harmonic Design does, I know for sure.

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

I have one of Bill Chapins' on my Chapin. I believe it is called "Bad Dog" - he winds them himself.

With the tone fully up it sounds like a great Strat P'up (it helps to knock the Volume back to about "9") but with the Tone down to taste and the Volume full up it is a P90.

My Chapin is like a Strat but with true Gibson scale length - the "Bad Dog" is the bridge P'up. It has it's own tone control whereas the middle doesn't btw. I can get a credible Les Paul Jnr sound with this guitar. All the P'ups on this guitar have different spec's - you can see this guitar towards the end of the massive Chapin Guitars thread, it is the Fiesta Red one called: "Hankahoula".

Best, Pete.

4. Helix

Helix Member

Franlin makes one and I think Seymour Duncan makes one now, also.