Can I get rid of that info box on the top right so the thread names are as wide as the page?

Discussion in '"How To" Tips for the new Software' started by IPLAYLOUD, May 22, 2015.

1. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

So it's not stacked.
    I read better left to right.

emjee likes this.
  2. m1911

m1911 Member

I Agree!
    Please make the right hand box optional or remove it altogether.

emjee likes this.
  3. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

If you mean on the front page, it was the only complaint I had during the beta, and I don't believe that will (or can) be changed.

4. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Another one for removing those boxes if it is possible.

5. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

6. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

The topic area page will remain as is.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i gotta say i hate that big info box too! there's nothing in it i need to know, it kills all the space on the page, compresses the forum titles, and leaves a vast expanse of empty space under it as i scroll down, so a good third of the screen is blank.

that little "quick navigation" button is a neat way around the awkward layout, but c'mon, when you have to "work around" navigating your front page, something ain't right!

i never noticed it on talkbass, but i think it's because they found a workaround: they have a kind of "front page" with all their content, including the double bass forums and a bunch of outside stuff, and that big info box is there;
    View attachment 2401
    they then have a subcategory for electric bass called "general forums" that has all the regular topics, and is pretty analogous to the entirety of TGP. there's no space-hogging info box there.

View attachment 2402

that's actually where i go and what i have bookmarked.

i don't suppose there could just be a second "sub-forum" or whatever that's essentially all the forums, just one layer down so it doesn't have the info box?

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Why not just bookmark the subforum section you like here the same way?

9. walterw

because here the "subforum" i like would be all of it, just without the dang info box hogging half the page :) (that subforum on TB is pretty big, including classifieds, off-topic stuff, etc.)

is there an option for users to assemble their own subforums from all the categories they like?

10. Scott Peterson

Not that I am aware of at this time. I am learning the software as I go (same as you).

11. walterw

hey, i think i got it: watched forums!!

View attachment 2454

i just "watch forum" selected every one of the forums, un-checked the box about being email alerted when they update, bookmarked that, and bam, my own personal TGP front page with no giant info box sucking up half the page to tell me that i'm me!

they're still in order, but no longer separated by category (lounge, the gear, emporium, etc) but that's fine.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Scott Peterson likes this.
  12. Scott Peterson

Nicely done. Now I have learned something too! :aok

13. walterw

i just found two other rather goofy ways around this too (for my win7 PC at least): if you just grab the right edge of your window and push it to the left, the display reformats itself to the narrower and narrower window; at a certain point, the software gives up on the info box and removes it! you just get the forum listings, and with a bit more room than when the window is set to full-screen and the info box hogs the right third.

the other thing i found might not apply to that many users: i have two monitors on my PC, with the "left" one being my computer monitor and the "right" one my big-screen TV. as such, i can drag things "off-screen" to the right and they show up on the other monitor (that's how i watch movies and such).

dragging the right edge of the window to the right will pull the info box right off my monitor, leaving the forum list pretty much full-screen.

14. 9fingers

Walter, I'm missing something. How do you select the "watched forums". When I click on "watched forum" I just get a box saying I am not watching any forums.

15. RLD

RLD Member

^
    When you enter a forum, there will be a "watch forum" link on the upper right.

16. 9fingers

It works! Thanks Walter & RLD.

edit to add:
    Since TGP is a business, I do wonder if the best way to attract new "customers" is to have over 1/3 of the opening page taken up by boxes few people care about, followed by empty space as you scroll down. TGP is so good that this look may not be the best first impression. I do want to see TGP grow and prosper.
    I am glad there is a work-around for this but it takes some reading to find it. .

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  17. walterw

i note that on talkbass that the space under the big box on their front page is full of stuff! trending topics, lists of active polls, gear reviews, that weird "status update" thing i still don't quite get, etc.

i'm a supporting member so i don't see them, but i imagine that's where a lot of ads would go as well.